Walkie talkies

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Who has experience with these? I am wanting to get a couple for my wife and I. I saw some on Amazon but had no idea how good they are. They were handheld ham radios but could be used as walkie talkies. I don’t want to spend a ton of money either but I want something that we can depend on. I also would like to be able to reach at least ten miles. I mean 50 would be great. lol. Don’t know if that’s possible for what I could afford. Any help is appreciated.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Range depends on a ton of factors. Anything other then the open frequencies and you’ll need a license. You can do a inexpensive baofeng and have a really nice setup. it would need to be programmed. Not hard but still a learning curve

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One of the most important things when you are looking at range is these FRS/GMRS band radios operate in the 460Mhz band which is pretty much line of sight. If you have terrain, (Hills) between your two radios, you are not going to get the maximum range they are advertising. Like the advertisement picture on Amazon, hilltop to hilltop is much different than someone being on the other side of the hill.

While I am not very versed in these type radios, I am a ham radio operator and we have a band in the 420-450Mhz range which is very similar where we use 5 Watt handy talkies or 25 Watt mobile radios frequently and I can talk with you about what you might expect if you might like to PM me for an opinion about your application.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The advertised range on these are silly vs real world experience for me. Talking between vehicles or in the woods means more like 1/2 mile range for radios marketed as 35 MI max. As stated above its line of site and apparently perfect conditions. I didn't expect much from mine, but was still disappointed. Kids played with them around the house a little at least.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Might that make the little effort of getting a ham radio license a little more feasible? There are several members here who can direct you the best directions. It actually can be a very good family hobby. We recently had a 9 yo young lady get her license in our area and is very "professional" on the radio. Dad is a ham, mom is a ham, now daughter. Good Luck to you.

jrusling

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with getting your license. The technician license is easy to get and the general license requires some more knowledge, but is not that hard. There are many clubs in the OKC area that would be glad to help. It is a great hobby and if things really hit the fan would be very handy. KG5FBO

Latest posts

Top Bottom