Walnut processing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swingwing

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How do you all crack, then get the nut meats out of walnuts? Any good suggestions? I have a bunch to get after. Hopefully they are still good. @2busy , is the walnut saw worth the price?

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ha, What something is worth to me mat not be worth it to you.

All I can say is if you want the meat to come out easy. Then yes it is worth it unless you like . Halves are worth it to me. I hated the crumble I got from hammers, vices.

Swingwing

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ha, What something is worth to me mat not be worth it to you.

All I can say is if you want the meat to come out easy. Then yes it is worth it unless you like . Halves are worth it to me. I hated the crumble I got from hammers, vices.

I think I'll give it a try. I have too many to swing a hammer at then try to pick out the nut pieces. This is off of one tree that just went nuts :wink2: last fall.

upload_2021-3-24_19-59-32.png

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The walnut saw is slow going but you will appreciate the big pieces . I have a bunch to do also. the meat keeps a long time in the freezer. You can freeze them in the shell for longer storage.

Swingwing

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The walnut saw is slow going but you will appreciate the big pieces . I have a bunch to do also. the meat keeps a long time in the freezer. You can freeze them in the shell for longer storage.

I didn't think about freezing the whole nut. Have to do that next year if I'm too slow. I tested a few last weekend and so far they are fine. They've been in the garage since being hulled, so they have stayed cool.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Stick a butter knife between halves and twist, once it is popped in half getting at the meat is easy!

On a tough nut turn the knife around and give that shell a solid whack, just keep you thumb out the way :cool:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If anyone wants walnuts please contact me next fall. I hauled off three front end bucket loads this fall. I'm betting there is another bucket load or two still on the ground. Love the meat, just to much PITA to fight for it.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If anyone wants walnuts please contact me next fall. I hauled off three front end bucket loads this fall. I'm betting there is another bucket load or two still on the ground. Love the meat, just to much PITA to fight for it.
That walnut saw will make it worth while.
https://walnutsaw.com/

Latest posts

Top Bottom