Want to finish 80% lowers...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amcardon

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have 2 billet 80% lowers that I would like to mill out. I've looked at the different kits but have a hard time convincing myself (read: convincing my wife) that another $200 on a jig & tooling to finish the lowers that already cost more than completed lowers is worth it. So, does anybody in the OKC area have a jig they'd "rent" out, sell, etc? Are the jigs worth purchasing if I'm only doing 2 lowers? I don't think I've ever seen a "used" jig for sale, so what do people do with them when they're done? Hold on to them to do more 80% lowers? Anyway, my wife and I were talking about it tonight so I figured I'd get some suggestions from y'all!

amcardon

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You can't borrow somebody's jig? I understand not using somebody's CNC mill, but I don't think there's anything wrong or inappropriate about borrowing somebody's jig...

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You could use someone else's jig but if you don't own the tool it's hard to do another one. However searching around can find a jig for much less than 200 to complete a lower.... https://www.andersonrifles.com/product/andersons-80-jig/ There are tons of different designs out there and some are higher than others but with that cheap of an option IMHO it's not worth wasting time to search for a used one.

As far as using a CNC that someone else owns I remember a thread at some point on the forums of someone in OKC doing something like a build it yourself with their machine. They basically stated that YOU personally had to press the button to start it... Anyway that was a while back and the thread went dead so if you get a little google fu going you might find it and see what is happening. In fact even with a couple glasses of wine I found it... https://www.okshooters.com/threads/interest-in-finishing-your-own-ar-lower-receiver.165746/

amcardon

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I participated in that thread from 2013, the guy offering to host it stopped all communication, even stopped responding to emails...

I just have 2 billet 80% lowers that have been sitting here for almost 3 years that I either need to finish (preference) or move along to somebody who can. If I was going to do 10+ lowers I could justify the cost of a new jig for myself, but for just 2 lowers it's a little more difficult to justify. I'd love to do 10+, but I have far too many "irons in the fire" to ever get around to it.

I have looked at the Anderson jig, but it's for open triggers, my lowers have integral trigger guards...

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I would agree with pokinfun on this.

That thread was prior to the ruling he linked. (Jan 2015)

It would seem that if the owner of the tool/equipment/jig controls access to or charges for use of said tool, then it's illegal. So with a mill/lathe, not likely; a jig you could borrow.

cktad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would agree with pokinfun on this.

That thread was prior to the ruling he linked. (Jan 2015)

It would seem that if the owner of the tool/equipment/jig controls access to or charges for use of said tool, then it's illegal. So with a mill/lathe, not likely; a jig you could borrow.
The letter pokinfun posted a link to concerns FFLs and unlicensed manufacturers doing work on firearms without a manufacturing license. Loaning (not renting) a friend a jig to complete a 80% lower is not illegal unless he is pumping them out by the dozens to sell for profit, in other words doing it as a business.
It's basically the same thing as selling your firearms. Technically, you are not supposed to buy and sell firearms on a routine basis without an FFL. It's all about your intent.

Latest posts

Top Bottom