WARNING!! Classifieds Scammer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Can you not ban his IP?

I wondered about that as well. I'm a moderator on an RV forum and even I have the "authority" to ban spammers.
for one
No. We can BAN by user name, but not by IP. However, this is something I for one will think on and maybe bring up to the owner. In some ways, it would be nice if we could. BUT, a potential problem I can see with that is sometimes, different people with different user names and different registered accounts will use the same PC to log into the forum, thus they would have the same IP. Also, people who log in from work, (when they should be working but aren't) will sometimes trigger our detection method (IP) and if we banned one, it would maybe ban the other workers there who also log into OSA from work, (when they too should be working. Oh, I can see the employers productivity going up if we did that and the poor saps actually had to do "work" rather than log in and BS on here...but.

Well, we can't.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Banning by IP address is complicated anymore. The address can change once the "lease" expires, and very often a larger organization will have an external IP that your system will see for every user on that network, then they will route traffic to individual computers through a NAT inside their system. That's what you're describing above for people who log in from work.

So banning a specific IP would be effective if you could be certain it was a static IP assigned to a specific user... but that's rarely the case.

killerpigeon

Native off the Reservation
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
To Rifleman 1981
86eb70472605fad75781ff6834a683d4.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom