Water filtration systems

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How about some reviews for some systems? I'm interested in something I could put in a BOB or a pack. Something along the line of good quality, good water and low maintenance.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How about some reviews for some systems? I'm interested in something I could put in a BOB or a pack. Something along the line of good quality, good water and low maintenance.

Household bleach or Katadyn Micropur tablets would probably be the best route. Of course there's always boiling. If you think you might need to purify lots of water MSR also has the Miox system, it requires salt and a couple of CR123 batteries.

It would be nice to see some independent lab tests of the various filtration systems.

Last edited:

Hump66

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Katadyn pocket filter is the bees knees. I've used them several times on trips to the boundary waters in Minnesota. I also have some super cool filter straws.

justanotherpatriot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We got a Royal Berky for the house. Makes the crap=y tulsa water drinkable and taste fantastic. The kids and wife wont drink anything else. BTW you'll end up saving money on soft drinks etc.

AR15OKLAHOMA

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have the Katadyn Pro Hiker, (I think that is the name) and a Steri-pen, which uses UV light to kill all the bad things that the filter couldn't get. Both are small and easy to pack. Luckily I haven't had to use them too much, mainly just to have if things get bad. You Tube will give you all kinds of videos of people using these with pond water, streams, etc.

nic6

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'll throw another vote for the Katadyn Pocket, it's awesome and can filter quite a lot before needing a filter change. I carry a Katadyn MyBottle purifier while fly fishing and have had great results with that little guy. I have heard good things about the Berkey line. I follow the old "One is none" type thing.

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We have a 2 black element Big Berkey with the optional fluoride filters. It makes our nasty tap water in Stillwater taste great. That is the real reason we got it but who knows it might save our hide someday too. I really like the idea of preps that serve a dual role. Especially when you can get real benefits immediately. I do plan on getting a spare set of filters at the big show in Nov which is long long before I need them just in case of...??

I had to laugh when my kids complained about the bad taste of bottled water the other day at soccer.

I have a MSR hand pump kit for camping that works pretty well for bacteria etc. but doesn’t do anything for taste.

Latest posts

Top Bottom