Water Storage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I was talking about using the components you can supposedly get for "a few bucks at Atwoods", an auger with extensions makes manual drilling a reasonable option for many people. When in doubt, get a bigger cheater bar!

it is a manual drilling "kit". You do have to beat a rod like thing into the ground. The rod has a hardened tip, the pipe is perforated. Im not certain but you can go about 30 feet. It comes with extensions.

My cousin lives between Tulsa and Beggs, he just recently used this method and hit good water around 15 feetish. For him it wasnt that labor intensive or very expensive. He piped in a hand pump and used 1 check valve.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Manual pumps should have a theoretical max head they are able to overcome, just like any other pump. A lot of it would be based on how fast you're able to cycle the pump (and for how long) though. A pump mechanically creates a pressure differential (low pressure = intake side, high pressure = "exhaust"/output side), where the output pressure is greater than the input pressure. The water you're trying to pump up your well is mainly fighting the effect of gravity (there are frictional losses in the pipe as well but they should be minimal in this situation), which becomes increasingly difficult as the depth of the well increases. This "head" or "pressure head" must be less than the maximum head of the pump (which for a manual pump, would be based upon the fastest maintainable speed you can actuate the pump).

So in short, yes they do have a depth limit. Beyond that, it can get complicated.

Its not about speed with manual hand pumps, check valves are your friend. Only takes a few pumps to get started and I bring up tons of water from 40+ft with a very old cast iron hand pump and 3 check valves. Ya just have to keep pumping.

wylekyote

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Its not about speed with manual hand pumps, check valves are your friend. Only takes a few pumps to get started and I bring up tons of water from 40+ft with a very old cast iron hand pump and 3 check valves. Ya just have to keep pumping.

Each actuation of a pump results in a fixed volume of water being moved from the low pressure side to the high pressure side of the pump. Of course it has to do with speed. The faster you actuate the pump, the more water you're going to obtain in a shorter period of time (increased volumetric flow rate). In the absence of check valves and/or in a very deep well, this would be more obvious.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

I'm a bit leery about a single container holding 250 gallons. That thing will weigh over one ton when it's full! You'd need to store it somewhere you know will be its permanent location and where the floor could support that much weight in a small footprint. For almost half the price, you could get five new, food-grade 55-gallon poly drums with the ability to move them around using a dolly. Plus, the risk of contamination is spread out over five containers - if something gets into the water, you still have four other drums to use. Just things to think about.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A friend near Morris just did his self drilled well, hit good water around 15ft. Its very doable.

I'd have never thought you could hit water at that depth. Is there any website that can give an estimate of how high the water table is in certain areas? I want a well, but don't want to pay boo-koo bucks for it.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd have never thought you could hit water at that depth. Is there any website that can give an estimate of how high the water table is in certain areas? I want a well, but don't want to pay boo-koo bucks for it.

I hear if you have good connections within the oil drilling industry, you can access a good database with stats regarding the water table levels across the state. As I don't have such connections, all I can tell you is that in Tulsa County, according to a fellow I know who drills water wells for a living, the average depth of good water is 60-80 feet.

Latest posts

Top Bottom