Water Thread ...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barnney Fife

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a little different storage system
I bought a 325 gal and a 315 gal white water tanks then wrapped them in black visqueen, painted the areas around the lid and spigot black
then wrapped them with shrink wrap so no light would get through.
I will run the water through my Berkey when I draw it out so it will be suitable for drinking or cooking.
I have a 55 gal plastic barrel with a hose that is connected to my rain gutter to store water for flushing toilets.
That lets me have almost 700 gals to work with when the balloon goes up.

any opinions?

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a little different storage system
I bought a 325 gal and a 315 gal white water tanks then wrapped them in black visqueen, painted the areas around the lid and spigot black
then wrapped them with shrink wrap so no light would get through.
I will run the water through my Berkey when I draw it out so it will be suitable for drinking or cooking.
I have a 55 gal plastic barrel with a hose that is connected to my rain gutter to store water for flushing toilets.
That lets me have almost 700 gals to work with when the balloon goes up.

any opinions?

I wonder if you could take one of those 55 gal barrels and install 4-5 of the ceramic candle filters and then rest that on top of another 55 gal barrel to have nice filtered water in the bottom barrel. You could still have it hooked up to your gutter system as well. Basically making a giant berkey system.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Jaherz, I have no idea about the Berkey type system but I would also like to know if it would work that way

I want to say that it will. A berkey is just a bucket with a candle filter on top of another bucket. This would be the same concept on a larger scale. It might take a bunch of filters though to get the same flow rate. If your average berkey has one candle filter per 5 gallons, you would need 11 filters to get the same flow rate, theoretically. If flow rate is not important, you could cut the number of filters in half and save a lot of $$ but your flow rare will also be cut in half.

whiskeysnoot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Going to put in my $.02 on Berkey filters. Been using a Berkey Light for about 8 mos. Like the hell out of it. Only water I drink. Girlfriend (who is kind of an eclectic bunny hugging Whole Foods buying hippy type) carted a gallon a week back to her house until I bought her one. How's that for endorsement?

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
xxxxxx

I wasn't sure if I should post this in the Sticky about water filtration so I made it's own thread.
BB feel free to move it if you like.

I try to operate of the old principle that "one is none" and "two is one". I believe that applies to
all areas of important preps.

I have several different ways to filter water and have a few different types of Katadyn water
filters such as a Hiker Pro and the tried and true Pocket filter. While Katadyn is a trusted brand
and used around the world, they can be a bit pricey for an entry level filter, especially the
Katadyn Pocket filter.

I read at a website not long ago about these Sawyers filters and had to check them out due
to the great reviews they got. There are several things I really like about them. They will filter
100,000 gallons of water and will filter out 99.9999% of the nasty's. Even better is their price.
They can be had for just over $20. That's really unheard of for all this little filter can do. I decide
to order several of them due to their ability and price. They filter as well as a Katadyn Pocket filter
which can cost $300 and the pocket filter I believe is only rated at 50,000 gallons before you need to
change the ceramic filter. This filters twice that amount for a fraction of the cost and only weighs
2 oz.

So here is the link if you want to pick up one or several of these. For the price, you can have one in
every BOB in the family.

http://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-Produc...r=8-5&keywords=water+filter+emergency+camping

Latest posts

Top Bottom