Waterfowl 2014/2015

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Coots are separate from ducks like merganers, and have a limit of 15. I think you should blast a couple and cook them up, I've never eaten one.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pretty sure I could get a whole limit in one shot with the right positioning. They just move about in swarms, if one pulls up a piece of coontail, they will all dogpile on it. Found quite a few recipes on the internet for them!

Bulls eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I blew it on some geese this morning. I was pumped because I had acquired permission to hunt a pond that always has geese on it. get out there before daylight and right at legal shooting time here they come. got a little excited and shot prematurely. Told my wife i had premature shotalation. lol. Lesson learned, i'll be more patient next time.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Coots are separate from ducks like merganers, and have a limit of 15. I think you should blast a couple and cook them up, I've never eaten one.

It was a loooong time ago, but I shot a coot, took it home and when I peeled the skin off the breast, the was just two slivers of meat that could be removed.
Maybe it was a young one, but there wasn't much to eat.

Porter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Makeithappen, that Buffie is awesome! I've been on a couple of hunts just targeting one of those for the wall! Only killed two hens in my 20 years of chasing ducks though. One day.....

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Makeithappen, that Buffie is awesome! I've been on a couple of hunts just targeting one of those for the wall! Only killed two hens in my 20 years of chasing ducks though. One day.....

He sure was beautiful. With twins on the way and moving, I just didn't feel like now was the best time to have a taxidermist bill, otherwise I'd have had him mounted. Of all the birds you take, and to not get one in that amount of time, wow.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Haven't eaten him yet. Gonna mix him in with the hen bufflehead and some mallard. I expect with their darker meat, they'll have a richer taste, but we'll see.

Latest posts

Top Bottom