Waterfowl 2014/2015

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Great day spent with friends from before dawn till just after sunset and an interesting last day to finish up Zone 2 for ducks. This morning's hunt was rewarded with a great looking speck and banded lesser Canadian. We're not sure which one of us shot the banded bird though, after the shooting was done, the birds were all laying pretty close together across the pond in the grass. This is what happens when there's a group of big boys fighting over one band lol!
i1085.photobucket.com_albums_j434_btenn1_20150125_100142_zpsc9iehmfw.jpg

Jusin_h635 was declared the victor and entered the band info. Bird was banded when it was still unable to fly on August 8, 2006 on the NW corner of Baffin Island, Nunavut, Canada.............which is just west of Greenland...........2400 miles from where it was harvested this morning.
i1085.photobucket.com_albums_j434_btenn1_20150125_114140_zpsvkniwyuu.jpg

Was able to put down a few more birds this evening. Great day!!
i1085.photobucket.com_albums_j434_btenn1_20150125_174739_zpss5c6qrfi.jpg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Great day spent with friends from before dawn till just after sunset and an interesting last day to finish up Zone 2 for ducks. This morning's hunt was rewarded with a great looking speck and banded lesser Canadian. We're not sure which one of us shot the banded bird though, after the shooting was done, the birds were all laying pretty close together across the pond in the grass. This is what happens when there's a group of big boys fighting over one band lol!

Jusin_h635 was declared the victor and entered the band info. Bird was banded when it was still unable to fly on August 8, 2006 on the NW corner of Baffin Island, Nunavut, Canada.............which is just west of Greenland...........2400 miles from where it was harvested this morning.

Amazing how far they get from where they were banded.

I took a tractor to my little pond this afternoon. Thinking there might be some ducks, took the shotgun, but nothing.

Moved a mountain of pond silt though. :D

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
:bowdown:Great closing day pics Okie! You need to send those ducks a text and let them know where I'M hunting next season so I can shoot as many as you do.:rotflmao:

We had to work pretty hard to find what did this year as far as ducks, last year seemed pretty easy. We may have to become goose hunters before next year.

badrinker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
dumb beginner question- Is it the windier and cloudier the better hunting? And if so why? What is the perfect duck/goose hunting weather?

I much prefer it to be sunny, as that makes the shadows deeper and harder for the ducks to spot you. I also like cold temps, to ice up some areas and concentrate the birds, with just enough wind to make the decoys move.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

i1085.photobucket.com_albums_j434_btenn1_20150125_114140_zpsvkniwyuu.jpg

Good ending to the season! Looks like a lot of fun. I would have let the dog chew holes in Justin's waders before I gave him that band!

ShurShot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Awesome! I pulled an all day'er as well. We had hundreds of ducks and geese circling and dropping into our spot for about an hour after LST. It was a great show! Decent action until around 11:00 then nothing. We went and had lunch then came back out to meet another buddy who had to work in the morning. At around 4:00 we started to see THOUSANDS of geese and ducks heading north high in the sky. It was constant until we left a little after dark.

As it got dark they started circling and piling into our spot. I've never seen anything like it. (all after shooting time of course!)

The sunrise and sunset were great. It was our best day of this (really weak) season.

20150125_160041.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom