Waterproofing leather boots

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thorgrim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Obenauf's works pretty well. You'll never get leather totally waterproof, it will need a membrane of some sort like Gortex. As far as Danner's go....they make some decent boots, but they are not up to the same quality standards that they had 20+ years ago. If you want a high quality boot, expect to pay some big bucks.

backspur

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Your best chance for waterproof leather footwear is something with Gore-Tex. Pull out the insole and check for a Gore-Tex layer in the footbed that is attached to the layer on the sides. This is left out on lesser boots and will allow water to leak in around the soles. I've had the best luck with U.S. made Danners. The last pair of foreign made Danners have been good, but the two pairs before that leaked.

tntrex

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Mink oil is pretty ok , i use it. They have it at atwoods near the horse tack usually.

i recall a relative told how they used to use beef tallow(cooking fat) back in the old days because that was always on hand and free. They used bacon grease for stuff to but i dont remember what.

Latest posts

Top Bottom