Weekly Weeknight Match - Tulsa

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Alright guys, I had an idea yesterday while having a semi-heated discussion with my wife. I am a relatively new dad, and her a relatively new mom so heated discussions occur from time to time. She works one day a week Saturday mornings because she is home all day during the week(stay at home mom. The money she made vs cost of daycare is a wash) with the baby so as her "get away" time for some adult interaction with people other than me she goes to work on Saturday mornings til noon and I hang out with my kid. I enjoy spending time with him doing whatever we want but he is currently coming up on two years old so our options of stuff to do is somewhat limited.

The problem with this is it seems nearly every match around is on Saturday mornings. We can't really move her work day because doing so requires a babysitter and that costs money which negates her working. Really her working isn't even about money and I pointed that out last night, but I was still wrong for reasons I can't recall, I digress. Our closest family is a 16 hr drive away so dropping him off with Grandma/Grandpa/Aunt/Uncle is not an option.

I am just a guy who wants to get out and shoot more often and get more competitive however that's hard to do when finding time to shoot competitively is a challenge. I don't work at USSA or OCRGC or anywhere else or have any pull at any of those places. I cant help but think I cant be the only guy whose Saturday mornings are occupied by something other than shooting.

I wanted to see if there was any interest in a local match in the Tulsa area that was a weekly match that would occur on weeknights after working hours maybe a match that ran from 6-8pm. Something similar to a softball league or bowling league or whatever. You'd pay one fee at the beginning of the season, season length TBD, cost TBD, and then that covers you for say the 8 matches in 8 weeks. There are no officially recognized weekly winners but of course points standings leaders, it is a "season" and your scores are tallied throughout the "season" with winners tabulated at the end of the season. You'd be allowed to miss one week. Just like with shooting typical matches where your lowest score on a stage is dropped your lowest scoring week is dropped. If you miss a week that score is out and the rest are it. Round counts would hover around 100-125 weekly and you'd typically shoot 4 or maybe some weeks 5 stages to keep the matches short enough to be done before dark if outdoors.

My hope would be that if there was enough interest someone on here who works at a place capable of hosting such a thing would approach their management and see if this would be possible. Or I could approach a range and make the pitch and see if they are interested in hosting it if that is typically how something starts. These are unfamiliar grounds for me.

Someplace indoor might be ideal because then things like getting dark and weather would have little effect on the schedule but I am not aware of any places locally that are indoor and host any type of competitions in the first place. Someplace outdoor would be better for more potential variety of stages and we could could have rained out weeks rescheduled. I've seen video on the tube of people shooting competition at indoor ranges so I assume it can be done.

Let me know if my idea is stupid or if this sounds like something you think could happen. This probably wouldn't happen until after winter because real shortly it will be getting dark too soon plus it would probably take some time to figure out the specifics of the format and other details.

Joeh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would certainly consider this. Most of my weeknights are eaten up with things already, but if I knew ahead of time I could make the appropriate scheduling for it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom