Well, lets see em!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WacosSon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Picked up this little cull on a ranch down near Gruene, Texas this year. Had a couple decent 8 pointers that just wouldn't commit. Last night there this little freak stepped out and got smacked. He was 2.5 years old and thats all he had. Ain't nothing wrong with a management deer - tasted mighty fine too!

i39.tinypic.com_27wupmd.jpg

shootermcgavin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well I've about given up on my deer hunting for the year. I have been trying with a bow real hard this week to get one more for some jerky, but to no avail. According to my camera I recently bought they all come out around 7:30 pm. Oh well though, this year was very impromptu and not very much work put in before hand (got permission for the land the night before muzzleloader season). Next year I will be able to work the area a bit more. All things considered though I'm pretty happy with this year. I ended up getting a doe with borrowed muzzloader and a doe during the holiday antlerless season. The muzzloader wasn't anything special. I watched a fawn by itself for about 15 minutes before 3 does came out and I shot one that field dressed out at 88 lbs.

The antlerless season doe was kinda cool though. My first deer to "stalk," if that's what you want to classify it as. My roommate who has a busted shoulder and didn't get to hunt at all this year was out with me just to be able to get out there. We sat until around 8:10 am Saturday the 17th. The deer don't do very much moving in that particular area (close to landowners house) after about 8:30 so we decided to walk around in the back portion of his land covered with woods and see if we couldn't get lucky. While walking over near one corner of his land I hear the footsteps of a deer running off and see movement ahead. We get up there and realize it is on the neighbors land behind a fence. There are 3 does there that keep running into the woods, turning around, running to the fence, circling around a few times, and repeating the whole process. So they clearly want to jump the fence (and come onto the land we have permission to hunt) but seems they can't. So after a few minutes we give up and circle around to the center of the land we can hunt. Just as we approach the edge of the woods and stand to watch before coming into the open to the little clearing area we see those same three deer down at the bottom of the field, about 150 yards away. The bigger of the 3 does which I presume was the mother of the other 2 jumps the fence and runs about 100 yards into our field but can never see her clear enough for a shot. We watch the 2 younger ones for about 3 minutes just standing at the fence watching her/ looking for her as they are too small to jump it. I decided to crawl out into the opening, and move to the left about 10 yards so that I can get a shot on the mom when she comes back as I assumed she would. While crawling to the spot I wanted the fawns/ smaller deer walk up the fenceline toward me. I'm confused that they are coming to me instead of away, but figure they aren't minding me so I'll go ahead and keep moving. I move another 3 feet and see the bigger doe come out from behind a tree about 80 yards away walking toward the fence (and why the fawns were coming my way). We are both frozen staring at each other for what felt like 2 minutes. As luck would have it though, when we spotted each other I was behind a small bush that broke up my outline real well so when I stopped moving she couldn't figure out what was up there. I was real concerned my roommate would start following me since he couldn't see her from where he was, but fortunately he was smart enough to realize I had completely frozen so he should wait. She stopped looking and when I got off my hands and sat upright on my knees I cleared the bush perfectly to get a good shot on her when she was about 6 feet from jumping back over the fence. She jumped about 5 feet in the air and ran back onto our land. Last movement I saw through the shrubs was about 40 yards from where I shot her and she dropped 10 feet later I found out. She field dressed out at 80 lbs and I discovered I got a heart shot on her. Oh, and in case any of you are concerned I figured those fawns looked old enough to survive on their own. When I field dressed her the milk sack was dry so they were completely weened, and I saw the fawns 3 days later when bow hunting.

Sorry for the long post. The OU game is boring though.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Congrats on taking the doe!

I know you are just starting your hunting experience, and see that your efforts have paid off. :D

Keep going after them, and as you do, your knowledge of the outdoors, and how the game move and live in their enviroment will increase. Two years from now, you will think....Why didn't I do that sooner" :D

shootermcgavin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
hey cory,sounds like you got a couple doe in the freezer,jerky time!

Yeah. I gave half of one to the landowner... keep him happy and keeps me hunting. The rest I turned into steak. I much prefer steak to jerky. If I can get one more then I will turn it into jerky.... We did discover I had a few roasts leftover from my first deer ever back in 2009. It was packed in a food saver back so VERY little freezer burn. Just finished jerkin' that today. I may have to rethink my "i just want steaks" attitude. That jerky is tasty!

Your doe looks pretty big! Did you get her weighed?

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah. I gave half of one to the landowner... keep him happy and keeps me hunting. The rest I turned into steak. I much prefer steak to jerky. If I can get one more then I will turn it into jerky.... We did discover I had a few roasts leftover from my first deer ever back in 2009. It was packed in a food saver back so VERY little freezer burn. Just finished jerkin' that today. I may have to rethink my "i just want steaks" attitude. That jerky is tasty!

Your doe looks pretty big! Did you get her weighed?

didn't weight her, but i'm guessing she was 125-130 dressed. i need to buy a scale since they don't provide them at the check stations anymore. i guess the drought makes deer store fat. the area around her tail on the top of her rump was 2 1/2 inches of fat.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Been chasing this guy since Oct. 1. He disappeared during the rut and I wasn't sure he was still alive till he showed up on game cam on Christmas morning! He made a mistake last night and I was there to capitalize!

[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No he didn't, only about 150 yards. To add to the story, he came out with 5 other bucks and just a few minutes of light remaining. At 25 yards I was just putting the crosshairs on him when one of the bucks spooked and ran. He took a quick step to bolt and I bleeted with my mouth, he stopped and as soon as I did I let the arrow fly. Found my arrow, good blood on it, but the blood trail was faint. Tracked him about 80 yards and decided to come back this morning to look for him. Needless to say he didn't go much farther.

Anyway the entrance wound was back around the last rib, the wound you see is the exit wound. When I squeezed the trigger he was almost perfectly broadside. Not sure what happened, but I can only guess just as the string released he turned hard to run and I hit him quartering away from me. Luck or not, it was a perfect shot. Hit both lungs and exited out his shoulder. I was stoked to find him this morning.

Latest posts

Top Bottom