Well that was a first

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I shot one of my best groups ever on another guys target at benchrest shoot. Embarrassing as hell. Some of the old guy laughed said it happens all the time. The guys target I shot had his best group ever that day. I said all the fliers were mine. :)
Surprisingly enough that is not an uncommon incident during group shoots.
There is some mental pressure on the shooters and they pick the wrong target with the high power scopes picking the wrong long range target.

JoeUSooner

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I was in boot camp, we had a kid in our platoon that was an honest to God "Hill Billy". When he got there he had about 5 teeth which were promptly removed and he got a full set of dentures. During rirle qualifications he just could not score anywhere near the needed score. The DI's did everything they could think of, they screamed, knocked him around, were nice to him, nothing seemed to work. This kid tried to explain he did not know what was wrong, he had been hunting all his life shooting rabbits, possum, squrirrel, et.ctc..
Finally they got to asking him about his rifle and learned that it did not have a rear sight.

They took his M-14 to the amor who removed the rear sight. Next day the kid qualified.

In my 1968 boot camp, we had a similar young man. Real "hillbilly," from rural area in southeast Oklahoma. He could do NOTHING else in a military manner, but with an M-14 that skinny little kid (5'-7" by 122 pounds upon arrival) could outshoot anybody/everybody in our company, including the our Captain (who was Special Forces and a VietNam veteran - although what he did to deserve being demoted to head of a training company, I have no idea). Every time I asked, the kid absolutely denied actually using his rifles's iron sights, but would not explain further... never understood him.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Side note, one girl in my company had finished firing and put the stock on the ground and rested the birdcage against her cheek. Poor girl now has a permanent reminder as to why that's a bad idea. But, she was new to firearms and no one had warned her the tip of the rifle would get hot...
I know a guy who got to hit a Marine DI over something similar. One of the recruits was sitting there at the range, resting his chin on the muzzle of his rifle. My buddy said the DI was working with another recruit, and he tried hard to get the guy's attention, but the only thing that worked was smacking the DI on the arm. He said it was a relief when the DI finally looked where he was pointing...

CorpsVet

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know a guy who got to hit a Marine DI over something similar. One of the recruits was sitting there at the range, resting his chin on the muzzle of his rifle. My buddy said the DI was working with another recruit, and he tried hard to get the guy's attention, but the only thing that worked was smacking the DI on the arm. He said it was a relief when the DI finally looked where he was pointing...

Touched a DI without permission, and lived? I call BS

Latest posts

Top Bottom