Well... this is interesting... Off duty "cop" shot...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Talk about some piss-poor training and judgement.

http://www.texarkanagazette.com/new...n-won-t-be-charged-for-shooting-office-62.php

HOT SPRINGS, Ark.-A Diamondhead man who shot an off-duty police officer in the shoulder after the officer tried to stop his wife for a possible traffic violation won’t face charges, the Garland County prosecuting attorney said.

Patrol Officer Fred Ensminger “used poor judgment” in his aggressive pursuit of Cindy Nelson, and Nelson’s husband, Jerry Chambliss, was justified in using deadly physical to defend himself and his wife, prosecutor Steve Oliver concluded in a report released Friday. Oliver also noted Ensminger wouldn’t be charged because he “acted with the belief he was justified under the color of the law.”

According to the report, Ensminger, 46, who worked part time for the gated community’s police department, was shot about 5:30 p.m. July 21 by Chambliss, 62, outside Chambliss’ residence after the officer followed Nelson, 54, home. The officer claimed she had been driving recklessly.

Ensminger told Arkansas State Police and Garland County Sheriff’s Department investigators he followed Nelson after seeing her cause a “near head-on collision” with another vehicle and after she allegedly attempted to run over him when he approached her with a badge during an initial traffic stop.

Ensminger said he didn’t get out of his vehicle at the couple’s home, but showed Chambliss his badge. Chambliss shot him “without provocation,” and the officer returned fire in self defense, the report stated.

Neither Chambliss nor Nelson were hurt.

Ensminger drove himself to the front gates of the community and called for help. He was taken to St. Joseph’s Mercy Health Center in Hot Springs where a bullet was removed from his right shoulder.

Chambliss told KLRT-TV that Ensminger never identified himself.

“Just because he has a badge he does not have the right to come down and try to kill citizens,” Chambliss said. “Every time a car pulls out behind me, we look to see if it is him.”

The report notes Ensminger was not on duty, not in uniform and was in his unmarked pickup truck. Ensminger had his truck equipped with emergency lights and a siren for his work as a volunteer firefighter with Lake Hamilton, but he didn’t activate either as he was pursuing Nelson.

A current, listed phone number for Ensminger couldn’t be found Saturday.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
#1, I know he is off duty, and is still "on duty". I understand all of that, but one just doesn't go around in a Personal vehicle and try to stop people for a percieved traffic violation and try to justify it by some wild story.

Way too many wanna-be's out there.
Lets take for instance:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100914/ap_on_fe_st/us_police_impersonator

I'm hoping we can keep this thread alive with links like the above.

TheSanDiegoKid

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not on duty, not in uniform, unmarked truck. What was he thinking?
he wasn't.
#1, I know he is off duty, and is still "on duty". I understand all of that, but one just doesn't go around in a Personal vehicle and try to stop people for a percieved traffic violation and try to justify it by some wild story.

Way too many wanna-be's out there.
Lets take for instance:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100914/ap_on_fe_st/us_police_impersonator

I'm hoping we can keep this thread alive with links like the above.

The proper course of action would have been to call it in... not at all what he did.

Latest posts

Top Bottom