What a mess....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bedding a Browning A-Bolt in .338 WIN MAG in a Boyd's thumbhole stock for a customer. I hate doing bedding jobs, they are a mess. It doesn't help that I overthink these when I do them. Pretty much epoxying a barreled action in the stock and then getting it back out. You get one shot to do it right.

Attachments

• IMG_3658.jpg
    IMG_3658.jpg
    649.1 KB · Views: 10

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did that one time. Well, I didn't do it, I sort of assisted a gunsmith who did it. It is nerve wracking, it's VERY easy to permanently weld an action into a stock.

I had another gunsmith do another rifle, he only charged $25 which even around 1990 I thought was too cheap not to do. He only partially bedded it, and I was disappointed when I saw what he did... but I guess it was enough, it sure shot better afterward.

I'm sure you did a fine job. I would gladly find another rifle you could do for me, if you would do it for $25. :pms2:

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have done one. And, there won't be a second one. Many years ago. The old '93 Spanish Mauser that I killed my first deer with had the original military stock on it, which someone had 'sporterized.' I bought a sporter stock and an AcraGlass kit. I read and re-read everything I could get my hands on about doing it before I started it. I was petrified that I was gonna' have it permanently bonded together. I kept putting it off. I finally jumped in and 'got 'er done.' (LONG before "git 'er done" was a thing!) I think I was holding my breath when it came time to take the action out of the newly bedded stock, maybe even had my eyes closed. As I recall, it took a couple of good raps with a rubber mallet before it broke loose. But, everything stayed where it was supposed to! I'm not sure my heart would withstand the stress today. You da' man, David! I have no doubts whatsoever about the outcome!

Jgibs0321

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bedding a Browning A-Bolt in .338 WIN MAG in a Boyd's thumbhole stock for a customer. I hate doing bedding jobs, they are a mess. It doesn't help that I overthink these when I do them. Pretty much epoxying a barreled action in the stock and then getting it back out. You get one shot to do it right.
Why dont people just use a chassis…

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Why dont people just use a chassis…

For starters, chassis weren't even an option for us old pharts. Not to mention the fact that I much prefer wood and blued over anything else. I'm not even a fan of synthetic stocks, although they certainly serve a useful purpose. I have two or three, although not by choice.

Dmc707

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Somewhat related question

Ive been wanting to order a laminate thumbhole stock for a Weatherby Vanguard i recently aquired -- Does a Boyds stock absolutely have to be glass bedded or would clearancing it to free float the barrel be alright?

GnometownHero

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have sucessfully used Brownell's accuglass kit on 6 rifles. Key to success is prep and take time to get everything greased in the tiny places everywhere you need a very clean release.
Allowing plenty of time and organized before you start. Read the instructions...Brownell's is your friend

Jgibs0321

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For starters, chassis weren't even an option for us old pharts. Not to mention the fact that I much prefer wood and blued over anything else. I'm not even a fan of synthetic stocks, although they certainly serve a useful purpose. I have two or three, although not by choice.
I wonder if glassing actions will even be a known topic in 20 years.

Latest posts

Top Bottom