What are your oldest guns?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My old man was an incredibly cheap man, but worked harder than any person I ever knew. He was a cop for 29 years. When the department allowed the carry of auto's, he splurged and bought a Satin Colt Officers model. 3 kids, crap pay and two of us needed new ball gloves. The guy sold his Colt and bought this Star PD 45. When he medically retired, the cancer took him quick. Not before he ordered me to pass this on when my time came. I still have the 7 rounds he carried for the last days of his career. As you can see, they don't match lol. He thought the grips were too tacky for his hands, so he broke out the 150 grit and made them smooth....while still on the gun. He was that way. It's a tool and he treated it as such.

I think I valued this once as a joke and found it's worth more to a crack head on the street than a legitimate dealer lol. I've put maybe 1000 rounds through it over the years while he had it and after I inherited it. I can't recall a single issue other than it bites like a rabid dog. My dad shot this 5 or 6 times a year and estimated around 5k along with my 1k. It sure looks like it.

The holster and spare mag, never made it to me. Never sure if he had the original box or not.

The late 70's early 80's were a wild times for Law Enforcement and he had some stories. I can't begin to imagine how many ears and eye sockets this has been jabbed in. I do remember a boating trip that ended up with a sinking boat and this floating away in an orange boat box along with keys to the truck. Those things really do float!

Other than memories, wisdom and instinct, this is the only thing I have left of my old mans.
star.jpg

Last edited:

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a couple that I do not know how old they are. One is a black powder rifle that has a lot of age to it. Another is a small brass frame single shot 22 short with a side swing barrel.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wife's grandma has a ton of pin fires That i will be helping clean up some time soon. Really cool pepperbox type stuff. She wants to sell them but i have zero clue how much that stuff is worth and how to price it

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
My old man was an incredibly cheap man, but worked harder than any person I ever knew. He was a cop for 29 years. When the department allowed the carry of auto's, he splurged and bought a Satin Colt Officers model. 3 kids, crap pay and two of us needed new ball gloves. The guy sold his Colt and bought this Star PD 45. When he medically retired, the cancer took him quick. Not before he ordered me to pass this on when my time came. I still have the 7 rounds he carried for the last days of his career. As you can see, they don't match lol. He thought the grips were too tacky for his hands, so he broke out the 150 grit and made them smooth....while still on the gun. He was that way. It's a tool and he treated it as such.

I think I valued this once as a joke and found it's worth more to a crack head on the street than a legitimate dealer lol. I've put maybe 1000 rounds through it over the years while he had it and after I inherited it. I can't recall a single issue other than it bites like a rabid dog. My dad shot this 5 or 6 times a year and estimated around 5k along with my 1k. It sure looks like it.

The holster and spare mag, never made it to me. Never sure if he had the original box or not.

The late 70's early 80's were a wild times for Law Enforcement and he had some stories. I can't begin to imagine how many ears and eye sockets this has been jabbed in. I do remember a boating trip that ended up with a sinking boat and this floating away in an orange boat box along with keys to the truck. Those things really do float!

Other than memories, wisdom and instinct, this is the only thing I have left of my old mans.
View attachment 192898
Don’t discount the Star pistols. There’s plenty around that are highly regarded as fine guns. The values of them are climbing and the PD 45’s are right there with em. It’s a cool gun and a great story!

TheDoubleD

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

View attachment 192898

Great story, great provenance. This story would be great over in the thread on Heirloom guns. Write this history down, add in names, dates, serial numbers, locations, badge numbers, even specific case stories and keep it with gun. Pass it down in the family. Might add ten bucks to the value, but this history is price less. You also might check with your dad's old police department, they may have a museum where this could be loaned and the history/story shared.

BillPenn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For me, most were all from my great grandpa, he was born in the 1870s. His black powder rifle, that is one heavy gun, black powder shotgun, then either his colt 1903 pocket hammerless .380 or my grandpas single shot .22 from 1937 I believe.
Thanks El Pablo, this is a great thread. With the Covid, election, impeachment, ammo shortage, and the impending blizzard. It's good to have something positive to read.

Latest posts

Top Bottom