What did you do to 'prep' today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1krr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nice, I don't really hunt but I love me some good venison steaks. For today, I continued clearing trees, cutting firewood and getting the garden/orchard ready. I've read that pecans are kind of a superfood with good calories and nutrients and were a staple in the overwinter diets of early American civilizations and settlers. Goal is to get enough facilities and skills developed so any bugin scenario, I could pretty reliably feed the family. Aside from bringing the native grove into an orchard status, I feel like we could handle a small sustainence farm for our family and bugged out friends. Now to develop some more advanced features like offgrid power and the like to give some modern capabilities like refridgeration; that would be awesome.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I went on a cedar murdering rampage this weekend. Was hoping to use some of the larger ones for posts to fence around the garden but not a damn one of them had any heartwood larger than a couple of inches. They were all just crap but at least they make for awesome bonfires.. 5k acres, one of these would cure a bad day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yF9uxexunYo

My buddy bought one of these, didn't read the instructions about how to set the blades, and set out to clear his place of cedars.
He tried a couple small ones, said it ripped them out of the ground vs cutting them. (First clue something's not right)
So he decided to try a big tree. Eased up to it, got on the throttle, and kind of bounced off. So, thinking more speed was needed he hammered down on it, hit the tree, didn't cut it, succeeded in getting thrown over the handlebars, and got his skinny arse wedged sideways between his machine and the bar that pushes the tree over. Of course, it's still in gear, so it pushes him into the tree where he stayed until another guy found him 10 minutes later.
I'm pretty sure it's for sale now. 😄

1krr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I cleared more trees and logged them into firewood. All those cedars, willows, oaks, and general scrub has been down and at least partially put into burn piles. Gonna be a lot of fire if we ever get a decent day for it. Also got my ammo organized and boxed up ready to grab and run should the need arise (either a last minute range trip or Russia nuking us; both valid reasons). Also got some rear springs for my overland build that will second as a BOV. Next comes moderate lift and tires to get some clearence.

Umm for the home front, I've got about 5 yards left of garden soil to get the raised beds going. Have two 13x3 and this should be enough for 2 more. Got the ground reworked with lower PH for some blue berries and got those planted. Have some black berries to plant next. Oh, also I'm going to build a retort for making carbon both for water filters and for soil improvement (terra prata). It try to let little go to waste.

1krr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pics of the berry beds, please! I just cleared an area for berries and have another full day of work to get the space done.

You got it. I'll snap some tomorrow. Basically just made some square raised beds from cedar fence slats and cedar 2x4 for edge support. These are about 3x3 foot iirc. Mixed about half a bail of spagnum moss with native soil and worked that down a foot or so. I'll mulch with pine needs or bark (which is supposed to help maintain soul acidity. I read that blue berries are fairly shallow rooted so I added a few lbs of garden sulfur out a few feet around the outsides of the beds to help slowly lower the PH and I'll mulch that with pine as well to keep the weeds at bay. I still need to get a soil test done to see just how much I need to work on the PH for blue berries.

1krr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here are couple pics. Still need to build two more bed boxes and clear the overgrown area next to them so I can do 4 more.

i140.photobucket.com_albums_r13_Speed_ls1_Garden_image_7.jpg

i140.photobucket.com_albums_r13_Speed_ls1_Garden_image_8.jpg

And here is a couple raised beds I'm experimenting with. The first is made with cedar fence boards like the blue berry beds. The second was just 2x12 pine. Wanted to see which lasted longer. The cedar one I didn't line the bottom with cardboard and have poison ivy sprouting up through it... This area is covered in the crap.

i140.photobucket.com_albums_r13_Speed_ls1_Garden_image_2.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom