What did you do to 'prep' today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I finished setting up a hand pump on my old well. Now I have to find out where to test the water to see if it's safe. I live in a flood zone and there was a bit of dark water when I first tried the pump, but it cleared up after about 10 gallons.

We were told when we first moved out here with a well that we should pour a gallon of clorox bleach into the well and let it sit overnight. The next morning let the water run until it no longer smells of bleach. That was supposed to disinfect the well and the plumbing as well. We have been doing that annually just in case. I have Sawyer water filters that will remove any contaminants and make virtually any water safe to drink. Using a hand pump would fit right in with the filters.

You will get a little dirty water until your well settles in.
Blitsfike, we got the same advice from the Oklahoma DEQ office. We do it as well.

You still need to do a annual test for nitrates, etc especially if you life in an area with a lot of septic systems or around an area where a lot of livestock live.

1krr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We have to do the bleach thing because of iron bacteria. It's some anerobic bacteria that feed on disolved iron in the water and it can grow in your lines I guess. Haven't done it in a while so I probably should.

ON what did I do to prep? More cedars burned and more pecans planted. Pulled the big cedars out of this area and I'm using the little ones in the pic for some erosion control. Slowly but surely it's coming together...

i140.photobucket.com_albums_r13_Speed_ls1_Mobile_20Uploads_image_2.jpg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We have to do the bleach thing because of iron bacteria. It's some anerobic bacteria that feed on disolved iron in the water and it can grow in your lines I guess. Haven't done it in a while so I probably should.

ON what did I do to prep? More cedars burned and more pecans planted. Pulled the big cedars out of this area and I'm using the little ones in the pic for some erosion control. Slowly but surely it's coming together...

Cool! Did you get in on the tree sale? I picked up 100 Shumard oaks and 50 sand plum bushes for a hunting area.

Cool! Did you get in on the tree sale? I picked up 100 Shumard oaks and 50 sand plum bushes for a hunting area today

1krr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wanted too but I ended up getting 20 nursary pecans in containers. Rootstock is already there and grafted to the choosen varity, so I figured it was worth it. I'm also going to start grafting onto some of the smaller native pecans I've got out here to get them into improved varities. Might try to get in on it soon though and get 100 pecans started to build rootstocks out of them.

Oh yeah, I found out about the water thing. Dept of Water quality doesn't care about a small damn to get across the creek but if we use any of the water in it, we have to buy a permit. But they did say call the corps of engineers which I did. They said they don't care either since I'm not changing the direction of the stream but to fill out a form just so they can make it official that they don't care.. All this on land I own. Is what it is, at least this is the "right" way.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wanted too but I ended up getting 20 nursary pecans in containers. Rootstock is already there and grafted to the choosen varity, so I figured it was worth it. I'm also going to start grafting onto some of the smaller native pecans I've got out here to get them into improved varities. Might try to get in on it soon though and get 100 pecans started to build rootstocks out of them.

Oh yeah, I found out about the water thing. Dept of Water quality doesn't care about a small damn to get across the creek but if we use any of the water in it, we have to buy a permit. But they did say call the corps of engineers which I did. They said they don't care either since I'm not changing the direction of the stream but to fill out a form just so they can make it official that they don't care.. All this on land I own. Is what it is, at least this is the "right" way.

Yep, jumping through hoops is what they want you to do. I got the sand plums because they make great habitat and food for quail and deer.
The Shumard oaks can put on acorns in 7 years with perfect conditions. Great for deer.

1krr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got tons of oaks and deer (tracks anyway, see them every now and then). Thnking for the garden this use, I am only going to use what I have around me for water/fertilizer (not that it is needed in new raised beds). Basically produce what I can as if there were no ag or big box stores to run to and see if I could produce a livable amount of food.

Latest posts

Top Bottom