1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. All members receive 3 free listings a month. Get unlimited listings for just $10 a year! Click here for all the info.

What Do You Consider Essential Combat Kit?

Discussion in 'Gear Talk' started by zghorner, Jan 19, 2021.

1. Duncandl

Duncandl Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Hat. Bandana. Vest...

Something to let others know what team you are on. Out of curiosity what neighborhood are you starting in?

2. dennishoddy

dennishoddy Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Same here. Living in the sticks results in longer response times for LEO involvement.
    I pretty much rely on an extensive surveillance system to alert when someone is anywhere in the area 360 degree. No blind spots.
    I just stay armed or have something within arms reach all the time. Haven't gone with shower gun though. :D

3. xseler

xseler These are not the firearms you're looking for.

Supporter
    Rating
    100%

I've heard that Hi-Points make a great shower gun.

When I used to go backcountry, usually a tube of super glue was my only medical supplies. Had to use it a few times, and never really needed anything else.

swampratt, dennishoddy and RickN like this.
  4. dennishoddy

dennishoddy Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    My response of TP wasn't just a joke. It can be used for lots of things like plugging bullet holes, and the normal uses of course.
    I've superglued a couple of minor cuts. Works great.
    OG&E gave me a first aid kit for an annual reward back in the day. Interesting mix of pads, tape, needle and thread along with some ibuprofen and some Benadryl that fits in the back pocket or a pack. Covers a lot of things needed.
    Some recommend carrying Tampons to plug bullet holes as they expand.
    I don't walk around kitted up and paranoid with a chest rig but keep supplies nearby. Normal attire is shorts, t-shirt and a pistol in the pocket.

5. TeamTomlyn

TeamTomlyn Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Start small and build by necessity. Chest rig/ body armor, guns and mags, flashlight, comms and a good blow out kit. Carry that loadout around the block a few times. Once you have the essentials down and know you can carry them; start adding other necessities. Water, snacks, expand your first aid, tools, backup batteries, etc. Weight adds up quick and if you're body isn't ready you will effectively make yourself a casualty.
    BTW don't forget the most important thing, a good pair of boots and comfy socks make happy feet :)

Fredkrueger100 and MacFromOK like this.
  6. MacFromOK

MacFromOK Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    +1 on the happy feet! :thumb:

TeamTomlyn likes this.
  7. HoLeChit

HoLeChit Semper Fidelis

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    I’m gonna have to disagree with you there Rick. In my experience pants are definitely not required in a gunfight. 2BDB4A04-00B6-433F-847A-02F45F9C2A3E.jpeg

On the original subject, mission dictates the gear. If we’re talking fast and not direct firefighting/conflict, I’m carrying 2 extra mags for my rifle and an extra mag for my pistol. Maybe a knife and a tourniquet/quick clot and a Israeli bandage. I’m wearing some pants and a t shirt. If things are downright ugly? Plate carrier with the side plates removed, maybe the rear as well. The weight isn’t worth it, getting shot in the back isn’t as likely as getting shot from the front. 6-7 mags for my primary rifle, 2 extra mags for my handgun, a fighting knife/fixed blade, slightly larger first aid kit, and a water bottle stuffed in a double mag pouch. Probably still pants and a t shirt. Some mechanics brand gloves.

I’m a light weight kinda guy. I already have to drag myself around. When it comes to partying, you don’t use 90% of the crap you brought. I’m more likely to bring my esee 6 than a Fairbairn Sikes because you look ridiculous opening an MRE with a full blown fighting knife. But an esee 6 will still do damage, in the infitismally small chance that you have to go full Rambo on someone in your driveway. I’m also a lot less likely to cut my foot off trying to cut the cuff of my sock off my leg for “paperwork”. You know, because I forgot TP, like I always do.

zghorner likes this.
  8. druryj

druryj Administrator Staff Member

Administrator Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Like @dennishoddy said, toilet paper, plus a small Bic lighter, and a bottle of tabasco sauce. Obviously, next comes a cellphone, extra mags, and water. After that, what I'm gonna carry depends on what I'm gonna be doing, and for how long.