What do you think about Rob Pincus and his training?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ExSniper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What do you think about Rob and his Combat Focus Shooting? What about his take on 9mm and modern stroker fired pistols? Just wondered what the general consensus might be.

smokeyokc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Albeit shorter sessions I have had the opportunity to train twice with Rob. I believe his fundamentals are sound however, I am not fond of training in a startle reponse. His knowledge of physchology and physiology are excellent. If you are just looking to be a better shooter I think there are better options even locally. I tend to agree with him on striker fired pistols for the masses (hence the physiology knowledge) but there are always exceptions to every rule.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think it's better than a sharp stick in the eye, but there are many better choices out there. Prdator routinely posts threads with top shelf trainers coming to OKC for SD type shooting courses.

S

Smokin

The startle response makes no sense to me. Why put your hands further away from your weapon? The 1911a1 is still a perfectly viable weapon, there are too many actual trigger-pullers that are still carrying them, (SOCOM, FBI SWAT/HRT, ETC) to say they are no longer a serious combat weapon. Modern striker fired pistols are fine weapons just not the only option.

Sam Shoun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think it's better than a sharp stick in the eye, but there are many better choices out there. Prdator routinely posts threads with top shelf trainers coming to OKC for SD type shooting courses.

^this...

I believe Pincus' stuff would be interesting to throw in the mix of a long-term plan of defensive learning. But I wouldn't make it the "foundation" of my self-defense skillset.

prdator

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rob is a Great trainer and is really trying to bring the training community to a more professional place with some of the things he has going on. As with most trainers he has his take on things and that's fine IMHO. There are things I don't like that he teaches like the startle response and his somewhat loose accuracy standers, but that compares to some of the trainers that demand the highest accuracy at speed out there . I Much prefer the modern striker fired autos and would take a 9mm polymer wonder over a all steel 1911 in .45 any day!!! For the average shooter ( if you goal is to be a better shooter and not a better gun collector) the 9mm in a modern striker fired auto is a FAR better choice. But a "GOOD" 1911 can be a VERY reliable weapon and is very easy to shoot!!! The problem I see is that most folks wont go to the trouble needed to maintain the guns the way they need to be, and the additional expense is well VERY expensive.
As GTG said I bring in some of the best trainers around with the best track records out there!!
I have some very good classes set up for this fall.

Sam Shoun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why put your hands further away from your weapon?

Usually to keep from being made unconscious. In-fight weapons access is a complex decision making process that is very sensitive to timing. Go straight for the gun at close ranges, and you are very likely giving it away.

Whether the "flinch" training CFS does is the ultimate solution to this, idk.

Surveyor1653

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Usually to keep from being made unconscious. In-fight weapons access is a complex decision making process that is very sensitive to timing. Go straight for the gun at close ranges, and you are very likely giving it away.

Whether the "flinch" training CFS does is the ultimate solution to this, idk.

This is why putting all of your self defense eggs in the handgun basket is a very bad (read: Potentially deadly) idea. Layered defense is the best approach. Sorry, got off-topic there but thought this bore pointing out.

ETA: I was attempting to point out that Sam had it right.

Last edited:

ExSniper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am interested in hearing other opinions about this training. Seems to be VERY dogmatic about certain issues that I have trouble with. As already pointed out, why train people to throw their hands up as they step off-line, then access your handgun??? I know lots of folks that don't startle for @#$t and they do not throw their hands up when confronted with a deadly threat, they move and fight by the best means available. Why have someone practice throwing both hands up to defend the head and then step offline and draw a pistol?
Also his rejection of safety rules as ignorant because of the use of ALWAYS and NEVER. I understand you unload your gun before you clean it and you unload your gun before you check it in baggage for a flight but that does not mean while you are handling that weapon during cleaning you should point it at parts of your body or anyone elses. The four simple rules as taught by myriad instructors (and required part of the OK SDA training) have kept lots of folks safe for many years by applying these principles of safe gun handling.
I love modern striker fired weapons. I carry an XDM 9mm on duty and a Glock 19 as back-up or concealed carry. I carry a firearm any time I am awake and still choose to carry my 1911 sometimes. I am confident in my ability to get the job done with a 9mm but some days I just like the 1911 and its .45 ACP round. To say that the 1911 is no longer a viable handgun is ridiculous. In fact, I have a Single Action Army .45 Colt that is still quite viable for self defense even with its limited capacity. It would not be my first choice but it is still quite effective and as fast for the first shot as any handgun I can think of.
I like getting instruction from a lot of different sources but whenever ANY instructor says "so and so" is outdated and my way is better, they need to show empirical evidence to support that claim. Just because you say so and poke fun at those who have blazed the trail in self defense instruction does not make your way right nor theirs wrong. A lot of folks are alive today and fighting on with 1911s or revolvers and training that come straight from Sykes, Fairbairn, Applegate, Cooper, Shaw, Chapman, Smith, and Ayoob. Surely everything they taught or teach is outdated, outmoded, or superceded.

Dukester

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have one of his videos and have read much of his rhetoric. While I have to admit that he is knowledgeable in a lot of areas, I think he is a hack and would never pay to receive his training. He is very much the type of guy that thinks that his way is the only way and I think that is a very poor approach.

Latest posts

Top Bottom