what is the difference in a Colt LE6920 and a Colt LE6920SOCOM

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike101650

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was in WalMart and they had a Colt LE6920SOCOM. It was 400 higher than the LE6920. I could see that it had an ambidextrous safety. Both had A2 front sight and flip up rear sight. The SOCOM has a quad rail where the 6920 has the stock forepiece. The books are different also. The 6920 is Colt AR15 Carbines and Rifles while the 6920SOCOM says Colt Match Target Rifles. Besides the cosmetic changes that I have noted, are there any other differences such as better trigger or higher grade barrel, etc? I did not see $400 worth of differences on the outside.

jmike314

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was in WalMart and they had a Colt LE6920SOCOM. It was 400 higher than the LE6920. I could see that it had an ambidextrous safety. Both had A2 front sight and flip up rear sight. The SOCOM has a quad rail where the 6920 has the stock forepiece. The books are different also. The 6920 is Colt AR15 Carbines and Rifles while the 6920SOCOM says Colt Match Target Rifles. Besides the cosmetic changes that I have noted, are there any other differences such as better trigger or higher grade barrel, etc? I did not see $400 worth of differences on the outside.

Which Wally's?

Dr_Mitch

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's not worth it. The barrel is heavier (medium profile). The sights are generic. The barrel is not free-floated. Just a gimmick by Colt's to get $400 more of your dollars for the same gun. Don't fall for it.

Mike101650

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I looked on the quad rail for the KAC brand that HUMP66 mentioned and did not find a name or logo but I did find a patent number. Research from this number revealed that indeed the quad rail came from KAC.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's not worth it. The barrel is heavier (medium profile). The sights are generic. The barrel is not free-floated. Just a gimmick by Colt's to get $400 more of your dollars for the same gun. Don't fall for it.

Its not a gimmick, Colt retrofitted the M4 with the KAC rail in order to mount accessories. It was never intended to simulate a free float configuration. The KAC RAS is a sturdy and reliable rail system which fills its role well. Granted, a true free float like the RIS II is better.

Serious quality control issues with those sites. They would literally rattle themselves apart when firing.

I have used Matech sights for years without issue, and I am as hard on a gun as anybody I know. There was some evidence of mounting bolts snapping when the torque values were barely exceeded but the new sights have larger bolts and mounting surface area to alleviate the issue.

OP, The SOCOM version is worth having if you have a need for the features it provides. Define what you want your fighting gun to do and go from there.

Latest posts

Top Bottom