What is this?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

A friend of mine passed away last year, and in helping his wife downsize, we found a number of these. He had a lot of milsurp stuff, but I don't think I have ever seen these before.

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's a thingy. They are generally used in conjunction with doohickeys or whatchamacallits in order to assure that your thingamajig is secure.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's a thingy. They are generally used in conjunction with doohickeys or whatchamacallits in order to assure that your thingamajig is secure.
It actually appears to be a lace-up thingy.

Perhaps in case the contents of said thingy gain or lose weight during transport.

In other words... I have no clue either. :drunk2:

EDIT: @dlmcm: no offense intended, my condolences to your friend.

Last edited:

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's (was) used to hold a spool of field telephone wire; from Korean War/Vietnam Era; probably been out of use for a good 25-30 years now, anyway. Connect to a field phone on one end; (CP) trot the line down the road to the other phone (OP) and connect. "Ringy-dingy, ringy dingy." "Hello? 10th Marines? Uh, could you guys like, shoot a whole buncha arty about 100 yds in front of me? Like, uh...right now? Please?"

* From same era as topographical map and compass, and plotting boards; since superseded by much more modern gizmos.

Latest posts

Top Bottom