What is your choice of the most important gun in American history and why?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

• Total voters

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score

Vote in the poll your top 5

The Dutch Musket that fired the shot heard round the world?
The American Flintlock rifle?
The Civil War cap and ball?
The trapdoor Springfield?
The Winchester lever action rifle?
The Colt Peacemaker?
The Colt 1911
The 1903 30-06
The M1
The M16

Other, please add to the list and discuss your reasons why.

DSUFLYBOY

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Interesting thread!

I'll give it a go, but first, not that it matters, my background (to shed light on my choices) is an Eagle Scout, former US Marine, former NRA RSO and Instructor, and amateur historian.

So he I go, BUT I had to pick 6 (sorry):

Civil War cap and ball
Colt Peacemaker
M1 Garand
M1911
Browning 1919
Thompson Submachine gun

Civil War cap and ball: the rapid fire capability (for the time) and rifling horrifically showed that Napoleon Tactics of large human formations going to battle were at and end and the World would have to change hundreds of years of tactics now.

Colt Peacemaker: showcased American industrial prowess and our ability to successfully mass produce interchangeable parts on a massive scale. Not to mention this is the famed pistol that "Won the West," and is still a movie icon to this day.

M1 Garand: forever changed the battlefield from muzzle loaders and bolt actions to a reliable and powerful SEMIautomatic battle rifle system. At the conclusion of WWII ALL major powers worldwide adopted one for or another of a magazine/clip feed Semiautomatic Rifle.

M1911: arguably the first truly successful Semiautomatic Service Pistol. As with the Garand, after WWII ALL major powers adopted a semiautomatic as their main sidearm. It was such a good design that most semiautomatic pistols today still share many of its design features.

Browning 1919: the first truly successful belt feed Machinegun made by the US that saw service with every branch of the Armed Forces during WWII and beyond. The most noteworthy of the 1919's siblings is of course the Browning M2 .50 caliber Machinegun that is still in service for US Forces to this day.

Thompson Submachine Gun: the first successful US sub gun. It is notable for two important factors, Laws and Warfare/Weapons tactics.

First laws, the Thompson and BAR helped to push forward one of the most egregious laws in American history, the NFA of 1934. With this single law established, ALL other 2A infringements had a solid foundation to propagate from.

Secondly, Warfare and Weapons tactics, during WWII the World saw a massive change in how war was conducted. Most notably from long range static trench warfare to close quarters urban warfare. The Thompson and other sub guns of the day paved the way for ALL CQB and weapons tactics from then on. Now most all modern service rifles are made for rapid development, short OAL, high magazine capacity, and lightweight. Today the vast majority of combat takes place in urban environments not at 500+ meters so the Thompson and other sub guns paved the way for the arms of today from lessons from Europe and Stalingrad.

Just my 2 cents worth!

"Watch your six, count your rounds, and keep your powder dry."

Latest posts

Top Bottom