What kind of Rifle Rest do you use?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What kind of rifle rest do you use?

• Lead sled type

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bipod

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • Sand Bag

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Rolled up jacket

• Stack of gun cases

• Towel on an ammo can

• Other

Votes: 2 15.4%

• Total voters

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Bags and for very steady shooting a bipod folded up to make the forearm very wide rested on the bag.

I made bags from many things some with worn out vibratory cleaner media in them and some were just cardboard sack wrapped with duct tape and filled with sand from a mole hill.

One thing I noticed was the "lead sled" would hold the gun absolutely rigid BUT the rounds would not impact the same spot as the bag rested gun and the bag rested gun would impact the same spot as just holding it without any bag.

So if you are shooting from a lead sled when hunting then by all means use it for sighting in.
But if you walk/hunt or sit in a tree on a limb i would not use the sled type.

Now if it does not contact the but of the gun that is different than the sled I speak of.
I’ve had the same experience with a lead sled. You can dial a gun in with it but if you let it recoil naturally, the impact point changes.

cdschoonie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a bipod on my 6.5 CM, but for the rest, I got some 1/2” insulation board, stack the about 7” high, with a ‘'V' on top, then duct taped it all together. Looks like crap, but it works great. I’m currently saving my spent tumbler media, to make a couple sand bag type rests.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bipod and rear bag

7wsm.JPG

Again, bipod and rear bag
IMG_2797.JPG

Latest posts

Top Bottom