What really burns my biscuits!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, first time back at the range in about 3-4 weeks due to weather. And I feel that rage coming on.....

USSA doesn't have range walkers regularly, this leaves the patrons to police themselves, and it shows that most people are assholes. I went into pistol bay 9 and the area was littered with empty cartridge boxes, paper targets and a few other random bits of trash. Not to mention their 6 shot plate rack is down to just two plates and the rerack rope is missing. I hate that people treat the range like this! The target holders I get as they are just thin wood and get shot up. But when I'm on a pistol only bay and see .223 casings and the tables shot up, steel plate systems busted up, it really grinds my gears!

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I feel ya, Tanis. I always try to leave a range better than I found it. It's unfortunate there are assholes out there. What can I say? Can't stand them; can't shoot them! :blush::bolt:

Same here. When I got to the bay the trash can (every bay has one) was half full. After I got done I had to sit on the lid to get it to close. About the only thing I do not do is remove my paper targets from the backers as it is usually what keeps them together lol.

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
Same as everything else in life. Owners of guns are no different. Every job I ever worked there was lazy asshats. Every neighborhood I lived in had them. Every church I went to had them. See where I am going with this?

Really to me that should be put back more on the business of caring more about what the product they are providing looks like. Even though I always try and leave a place better than I found it. Its the business owners job to clean and maintain their location.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Same here. At our range in Ponca, we have to do maintenance on the target stands, etc and constantly buy lathes to hold targets and 2X4's because someone has shot them up even though we have the range rules with pictures of what not to do on ever range right at the firing line.
Evidently they are testing their "firepower" as they shoot the 2X4's and 4X4's off in 6" or so lengths all the way down to the target stands, then I have to bring the metal stands home and repair them, costing me hours of time I could spend doing something else and the club money that could be used to make range improvements.
After repeated requests in the monthly gun club newsletter I publish each month that each member receives in their email, there is still repeated damage doing the same thing. I've since realized I have to make the target stands pretty much pistol round proof, and have modified the design making them 2X heavier than they were before, but my workload has decreased.
4 of us spent almost 30 hours over the last couple of weeks cleaning and organizing the ranges where they don't look like trash pits.
We have such an amazing facility with amenities that no other range in Oklahoma offers and some still think they can trash it out with no respect for those that volunteer to clean it up. Amazing how some people are pigs.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't see USSA doing all that. When you walk onto the bay ground your stepping on 40% dirt and 60% spent shell casings. They don't police the brass and have rules about you not picking up any other brass than what you shot. My membership is up next month and I might look into other outdoor ranges.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't see USSA doing all that. When you walk onto the bay ground your stepping on 40% dirt and 60% spent shell casings. They don't police the brass and have rules about you not picking up any other brass than what you shot. My membership is up next month and I might look into other outdoor ranges.

USAA is a paid range with paid employees. The lack of maintenance reeks of poor management. The issues you brought up should be a part of regular maintenance.
Our range is 100% volunteer help to get anything done.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
"I paid my money! I'll do what I want!" is most peoples attitude nowadays.
As for the shell casings, they are cheaper than constantly spreading gravel.
After 26 years of being a range maintenance guy I've about seen it all.
But, you still get some surprises.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Same here. At our range in Ponca, we have to do maintenance on the target stands, etc and constantly buy lathes to hold targets and 2X4's because someone has shot them up even though we have the range rules with pictures of what not to do on ever range right at the firing line.
Evidently they are testing their "firepower" as they shoot the 2X4's and 4X4's off in 6" or so lengths all the way down to the target stands, then I have to bring the metal stands home and repair them, costing me hours of time I could spend doing something else and the club money that could be used to make range improvements.
After repeated requests in the monthly gun club newsletter I publish each month that each member receives in their email, there is still repeated damage doing the same thing. I've since realized I have to make the target stands pretty much pistol round proof, and have modified the design making them 2X heavier than they were before, but my workload has decreased.
4 of us spent almost 30 hours over the last couple of weeks cleaning and organizing the ranges where they don't look like trash pits.
We have such an amazing facility with amenities that no other range in Oklahoma offers and some still think they can trash it out with no respect for those that volunteer to clean it up. Amazing how some people are pigs.

Sounds to me like you need some security cameras!

Latest posts

Top Bottom