What started you?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For me it was watching the race riots of the 60's, the Rodney King riots, the Katrina riots, the riots after professional sporting games and all the riots in Europe.

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You sure we didn't grow up at the same place? :ugh2:
He would hold the chicken by his legs and feet, lay him on the ground, breast down, place an axe handle/crowbar/rake handle/whatever long instrument that was lying around across the chicken's neck, step on either end of the long instrument and pull up on the chicken's feet, ripping it's head off!

Dad would then toss the chicken over in the yard and let him do his dance and then go get the next one.

Yup...good times, I tell ya! :sunbath:

Yessir, that was how we did it at our house. No use in dulling an axe over a chicken.

That sounds humane compared to how my Aunt used to do it.

She'd walk through the chicken yard with the chickens following her thinking they were going to get some feed. She'd reach down and grab one by the neck and and start swinging it in a circle like she was spinning a lasso till it made two to three turns and then move on to another till she got what she wanted.

And this is how my grandma did it up until she went to the nursing home at 89 years old. Never did by a store bought chicken. She was also where I learned to scald a hog, and use a smoke house, not a back porch smoker. We used to have salt pork that was months old, keep our bacon in grease cans, etc. Gotta tell you, if you have never had milk that you have to shake before you drink it, you have never tasted real milk. The homogonized, pastuerized watery crap you get in stores is not real milk. You need the kind that you skim the cream off of the top to make your own butter, and then mix the rest back in for your drinking milk.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
LOL at Gillman and GED reminicsing about killing chickens. BTDT ...

It was GC who got me started. Him and his nagging ... AND the ice storm in 2007 when we had NO POWER for a week. Man that sucked. Would have sucked a lot worse if GC hadn't traded a rifle for that generator I didn't want ... Yes, yes, yes ... He reminds me how fortunate I am to have such a forward-thinking man every chance he gets ... **sigh**

shotty

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
07' ice storm, everybody's power was off and some how mine was still on. After about the third day of this, friends,family and neighbors were asking me if they could please come over for a hot shower. The look on their faces after a hot shower, maybe a shave and clean clothes was great. Always had visitors, Made a big pot of beef stew and cornbread and fed a few as well.

riper1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ive always been like minded to a point, but what woke me up was 4 inches of ice in dec 2007, I remember going to the store to buy pancake mix & milk only to find empty shelves, my first thought was how long untill they restock & how long will this last? so now ive got plenty of pancake mix (add water and stir) and plenty of powdered milk

T-Baggin98

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well like a lot of others on here I grew up with a country back ground. We did a lot of camping and still do so it was always fun to me. What really got me into prepping was the city flooding in June of 2010. I lost my house in that flood. I was fortunate though. I was one of 6 people out of 208 in my area that had flood insurance. Ever since then I've started planning for other local disasters. We had many volunteers helping our community during it's time of need and now I want to give back. I've had lots of specialized training from military and civilian fields. After learning the hard way i try to do what I can to help others now. Wether it's manual labor or just a little advice, I just want to keep the helping spirit alive. This also fueled my desire to help creat the central Oklahoma Zombie Squad which is a disaster prep group. We do a lot in the means of learning new skills and community chRity events.

justanotherpatriot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Loved your comment about shaking the milk gman! Reminds me of the time I was at my (then) girlfriends house and went to get a glass of milk. Started shaking on the way out of the fridge and found out the messy way they didn't believe in putting the cap back on!!!

I think it has been a series of events for me. #1 I have always been one to have a lot of groceries around. Grew up with 5 siblings and all of us spent more than our fair share of time prepping food for mom and sis's to can. One year my mom canned over 1500 qt! Thats a lot of prep. #2 I am a contractor and so my wonderful wife learned early on that we should have a stash set back for winter. #3 Ice storm 2007 #4 Thanks to our wonderful big brother, the economy went in the toilet and things got tight. #5 Some friends clued me in to a couple of good books and the rest is history.

Latest posts

Top Bottom