What things should I practice and who to get training from?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree, start easy with something like a four hour course. Then go home and practice to get ready for another course. If you are like most fairly new serious shooters, you will be amazed at what you do not know you do not know.

I had shot most of my life and jumped into a two day defensive training session. I knew I was in way over my head in about ten minutes. They were fine tuning real shooters, I needed to learn how to really shoot first. There was way more to learn than I could quickly adjust to. I did learn a lot, but was only able to apply most of it after much practicing afterward.

Good Luck to You and have a great time.

tacmedic

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No plans. Not enough interest. I've tried a couple times but no one signs up. Therefore most of my teaching has been in Europe the last couple of years. Its far worse over there than is being reported.

I am doing one next weekend June 4-5 in Tulsa.

indi

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I highly recommend Marshall Luton at TDSA Advanced Pistol 1!!!! You will learn ALOT!!! I would also recommend Mike Seeklander at Shooting-Performance, he has a good class too. I have gotten training with both of these instructors. They are two different classes. My advice would be to let Marshall and TDSA teach you the AP1 class before going and taking Defensive Pistol 1 with Mike Seeklander.

FOG

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I highly recommend Marshall Luton at TDSA Advanced Pistol 1!!!! You will learn ALOT!!! .

X2. I only got serious about handguns a year ago and I wasted alot of time and ammo trying to get better. Finally I broke down and took TDSA's ACP 1 course in March and it made a big difference in my shooting and mindset.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Sheeve

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just a piece of advice. Going to a class doesn't give you new skills, it teaches you what to practice so that you can then "make payments" to then "own" the skillsets presented in class. If you are going to the range without knowing what to practice you are probably just reinforcing bad habits and turning money into noise, it can be fun but is does very little to prepare one for a violent encounter. Also remember there are no "advance pistol skills" just mastery of the fundamentals, having a smooth 4 count draw stroke from concealment, mastering sight alignment and trigger control while operating SAFELY will be the first stop down the rabbit hole, then and only then will you reach the level of beginning to understand how much you don't know on the way to learning where the real meat and potatoes of surviving violence dwells. Learning about managing unknown contacts, The OODA loop, combatives, edged weapon work, tactical medicine, understanding pre-fight indicators and entangled gunfights will do a fine job at re-humbling you repeatedly after you think you have things figured out, I know that has been my experience. And please remember as Tacmedic stated, prepare for your reality, training with a former space shuttle door gunner might look awesome on a training resume, but it might not relate at all to your reality. This is a problem that many non mil or leo face when seeking out training, it must be relevant to our reality, or at least adaptable to our situation to be worthy of putting into the proverbial "tactical toolbox". I wish you well on your walk to be more dangerous and protect those that you love.

tacmedic

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just a piece of advice. Going to a class doesn't give you new skills, it teaches you what to practice so that you can then "make payments" to then "own" the skillsets presented in class. If you are going to the range without knowing what to practice you are probably just reinforcing bad habits and turning money into noise, it can be fun but is does very little to prepare one for a violent encounter. Also remember there are no "advance pistol skills" just mastery of the fundamentals, having a smooth 4 count draw stroke from concealment, mastering sight alignment and trigger control while operating SAFELY will be the first stop down the rabbit hole, then and only then will you reach the level of beginning to understand how much you don't know on the way to learning where the real meat and potatoes of surviving violence dwells. Learning about managing unknown contacts, The OODA loop, combatives, edged weapon work, tactical medicine, understanding pre-fight indicators and entangled gunfights will do a fine job at re-humbling you repeatedly after you think you have things figured out, I know that has been my experience. And please remember as Tacmedic stated, prepare for your reality, training with a former space shuttle door gunner might look awesome on a training resume, but it might not relate at all to your reality. This is a problem that many non mil or leo face when seeking out training, it must be relevant to our reality, or at least adaptable to our situation to be worthy of putting into the proverbial "tactical toolbox". I wish you well on your walk to be more dangerous and protect those that you love.
:clap3::werd: Read this...then read it again!

Latest posts

Top Bottom