What trail cameras do you deer hunters use?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A.J.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've decided since it's the 21st century, I'll join the 20th century and buy me a trail camera. I'd like to get an economical one to see if I'll even use it first. Any of you guys want to brag on your trail cam to get me started in the right direction?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've decided since it's the 21st century, I'll join the 20th century and buy me a trail camera. I'd like to get an economical one to see if I'll even use it first. Any of you guys want to brag on your trail cam to get me started in the right direction?

Stealthcam for me. More on it later....I have to go to work.

the man

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We use the Moultree i-40. We thought it was one of the best for the $$. It uses infrared light rather than a flash at night, 4.0 mega pixels, and 150 day battery life. We leave them out year round and check them about every 2 months. They've been great so far. We did have one start messing up this year and I boxed it up and sent it back into Moultree. They sent me a brand new one, which I received about 1 week later. Can't beat that...

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Scoutguard 550's. I am pleased with them, picture quality is lacking sometimes, but the no flash, small size and long battery life is worth it.

2 more weeks and I will put them up until December!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Cuddybacks in my opinion are overpriced, and do not have good relability. Yep, they do trigger a little faster(I own one) but after the first season the buttons that you program with fell off, and the 1.2MP black and white Infra Red is so grainy you can't even count antlers. I have always used the Stealth cam. Started with the 35mm, and went to the models that use the flash. The deer are not frightned by the flash. They think its lightning, or a distant car. I have multiple shots of the same buck using the flash mode. The trick to get the shot is to point the camera at a 45 degree angle or better down the trail so that the animal is in the frame longer. Put out some feed. That will stop them. Its amazing what you get on the camera with a bag of corn just thrown out in the timber.

A.J.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wound up buying a Wildlife Innovations S2 with the flash from Sportsman's Guide. Was going to step up to the IR4 model, but the S2 was faster by nearly a second, so I stayed with it. My brother uses a Moultrie D4 and also tells me the flash doesn't scare deer. The only thing I would have liked about the IR flashless model is for use on two-legged coyotes if you know what I mean.

Latest posts

Top Bottom