What would you use to shoot turtles around the pond?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bill allen

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am just run over with turtles so today I went out with some CB caps and my trusty .22 rifle and popped a few. I have close neighbors on both sides so I don't want to make any loud gun noises so what would be a better rifle or bullet to use? Would an air shot rifle fit the bill? I can't tell just how good I am doing shooting in the water with the CB caps. I know I got a few but I am not sure what my success rate really is. Will the bullets deflect off of the shell? I need to be able to make shots out to about 40 yards or so, quietly. What do you guys suggest?

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
shotgun(not quiet) or maybe a pellet gun with flat nose pellet.
Flat nose don't skip on the water as much as round or pointed.
Just remember 9 out of 10 bullets will bounce off the water and you'll be killing your neighbors or putting holes in their houses,cars, livestock, etc.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Quietly? Swim out there at night in full camo with a knife in your teeth
like a Navy Seal and take no prisoners.

You may have to recover the bodies of some of your enemies and see what the bullets do, to know what bullet does what.

trbii

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've seen .22 LR sub-sonic ammo for sale at several sporting goods retail stores around Tulsa. It's downloaded powder charge would be quieter than standard or high velocity loads. The nearby neighbors' homes is a serious safety consideration. If richochet or unsafe background danger is too high, I would'nt chance it. Perhaps certain down angle shots could be made safely. Like from the high side of the pond. I would'nt fire across to the far side, toward the neighbors' place, though. A old hiking, hunting buddy and I fired pistols, rifles, shotguns and a 9MM submachine gun around his Dad's house and livestock out East of Owasso for about twenty yrs. with no mishaps. Just made the effort to be careful and considerate of others property.

Latest posts

Top Bottom