What would you use to shoot turtles around the pond?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

0352Marine

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Quietly? Swim out there at night in full camo with a knife in your teeth
like a Navy Seal and take no prisoners.

You may have to recover the bodies of some of your enemies and see what the bullets do, to know what bullet does what.

Heck yeah don't forget the scba (self contained breathing apparatus)

T-Baggin98

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hire this guy...as long as your neighbors don't mind the Rebel Indian yell http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gn8EQ0azXpQ

HAHA that guy rocks!! I love settin up a spot and plinkin turtles out of our ponds. 22lr or 22mag are usually my weapons of choice. Ive been known to get the ol 410 out from time to time. I dont have to worry about neighbors though... be careful!!

0352Marine

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am careful about shooting into the pond. My neighbors and I are each on 10 acre tracks that are narrow but long. I only shoot where I know the bullet can't hurt anybody. The pond also has a high berm around it. I am shooting safely and consideration for my neighbors is why I want something quiet. I don't want anybody nervous about me shooting into the pond. The floating turtle trap sounds like something I need to check out. I will look for the sub-sonic ammo at Bass Pro and give that a try.

A gun with a suppressor sounds like a good idea, too. I have no experience with suppressors but installing one on a .22 seems like a good answer. I would expect a .22 would work much better than a pellet gun. This a new pond that I built last year and several months ago stocked with fish and right now it is turtle heaven. I don't know if I can keep them shot out of there or not. I appreciate all of the ideas. Thanks...

Correct me if I'm wrong which I'm sure somebody will but doesn't a suppressor require a class 3 stamp from the feds? and cost alot of money

RedTape

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Air gun with flat nose pellet would be best. .22lr at anything but a hard angle will be a problem.

I though most turtles in OK were a protected species?

jej

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
shooting turtles isn't hunting

Is that a joke?

Isn't there a rule here about not promoting illegal activity on this forum?

Any moderators awake this morning?

Turtle hunting is heavily regulated by OK Wildlife. "Silencers" are prohibited.

From their website:
====
Silencers

Silencers may not be used to hunt game animals, game or nongame birds.

=====

The conservation status of Oklahoma’s turtles is just as diverse as the range of species. The capture and possession of all turtles is regulated by the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation under specific reptile regulations that can be found in OAC Title 800:25-7 Part 3, or OAC Title 800:15 Subchapter 9. A hunting or fishing license is required to trap or collect turtles for personal use; a commercial turtle harvester license is required to trap aquatic turtles commercially. Three species of turtles are sufficiently rare that closed seasons have been established to prohibit the trapping, possession or killing of these species. These closed-season species are the Alligator Snapping Turtle, the Western Chicken Turtle and the Common Map Turtle. The two species of box turtles, Three-toed Box Turtle and Ornate Box Turtle, can be collected for personal use but all commercial trade is prohibited in large part because their low reproductive rate makes their populations vulnerable to local depletion in the event of over collection. The remaining species, all of which are aquatic, may be collected for personal use or may be trapped commercially from private waters with an approved commercial turtle harvest license.

====

Look, I like that OK does not prohibit NFA weapons and silencers. I don't much care for the prohibition on their use in hunting [and I am not sure if it is based on federal law], but the prohibition is there.

If I am wrong on this, I'd like to be educated.

jej

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
From what you posted, I would still think a suppressor is legal on a turtle.

Most common turtles in ponds are none of the listed ones in the section, nor are turtles considered game animals. Someone correct me if I'm wrong here.

Latest posts

Top Bottom