What would you use to shoot turtles around the pond?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
have used a .22 rifle for many years. when they are floating the headshot is all you really got anyway. Most times you can't 100% tell if you hit them (but pretty sure) but after a good day of killing, wait a day or so, then check the banks of your pond for the dead critters floated up and to shore. Yep, be aware of richochetes, if you decide to use a suppresor, even subsonics have a little crack in a rifle, least mine does.

jbarnett

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong which I'm sure somebody will but doesn't a suppressor require a class 3 stamp from the feds? and cost alot of money

Suppressors do require a tax stamp but they aren't nearly as expensive as I thought they were. I just bought a SWR spectre and love it.

tinfinger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you like bolt-action rimfires, a CZ Ultra Lux has great irons sights and a 29" barrel. Even with high velocity 22LR, that long barrel is darn quiet. With subsonic or standard velocity, the sound signature seems to be right in airgun territory ...

BTW, "standard velocity" and "subsonic" are about the same velocity. The difference seems to be that subsonics usually seem to be hunter-oriented, hollow points and standard velocity are round nose, basically budget match-type ammo.

TonyRumore

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am using a 10-22 now and had them all cleared out of my ponds last year, but those bastards are back.

Building up a suppressed Saiga-410 now. Much easier to dust them in the head when they just peek their head up out of the water.

Tony

Latest posts

Top Bottom