What's a Steel Challenge Match

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okbishop

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
This sounds fun.. What do I need and how would I do this. Looks like the events are at USSA in the Tulsa area.. Any thoughts.. fun yes no. Is there a different match / sport that I should try first.. etc..

ryanncass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This sounds fun.. What do I need and how would I do this. Looks like the events are at USSA in the Tulsa area.. Any thoughts.. fun yes no. Is there a different match / sport that I should try first.. etc..

Steel challenge is fun, its great to start on. you shoot five steel targets in 5 strings. the slowest time is thrown out. Need a holster a gun, 5 mags (can do with less). The match at ussa is the first sunday of the month.

1911user

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Steel challenge is a good place to start in action pistol shooting. There is no movement, reloading, or other complicating factors. Just draw and shoot 5 steel targets in 5 different strings on each stage. Throw out the slowest time on each stage. A steel challenge match is typically 6 stages (150 rounds minimum). Just don't get sloppy in aiming while trying to go fast; only hits count!!

From there, advance to USPSA/IPDA where you are shooting and reloading on the move as well as dealing with props and partially hidden targets.

Another steel challenge advantage is being able to shoot a 22LR pistol. USPSA/IPDA requires a 9mm or larger caliber.

okbishop

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I could bring my 9mm and some mags and a holster and I am good to go. Where's the one this Saturday.. Now if I shoot bad will everyone make fun of me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom