whats the difference m24 and rem 700?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, what's the difference in the two? All I really know is the bull barrel. If I were to buy a 700, can I replace the barrel with a bull barrel?

The M24 is a long-action receiver built for the Military (I think based-off of and in fact very close to the Remington 700), and you can have the barrel changed from your Remington 700 by a smith, but I wouldn't recommend doing it yourself (it is a lot harder to do than the Savage rifles - headspacing is a lot trickier and the whole process is a lot more of a pain).

I had Steve Baldwin do two for me. Here's some before and after pics:

My Remington 700 SPS Varmint :

ai70.photobucket.com_albums_i91_rawatkins_Remington_20700_IMG_5056.jpg

With the HS Precision Stock:

ai70.photobucket.com_albums_i91_rawatkins_Remington_20700_IMG_5758.jpg

Afterwards with the new stock, Broughton barrel (w/QD connector), recoil lug, and bolt:

ai70.photobucket.com_albums_i91_rawatkins_Remington_20700_DSCN02291.jpg

Here it is with the can:

ai70.photobucket.com_albums_i91_rawatkins_Remington_20700_DSCN8939.jpg

ai70.photobucket.com_albums_i91_rawatkins_Remington_20700_DSCN8938.jpg

Here's my son's rifle (before). That's my old Varmint barrel that I was going to put on his rifle, but ended up getting him a Hart instead:

[Broken External Image]

And after:

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

(notice that the can ended up on his rifle when I went out of the room to get the camera).

[Broken External Image]

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you are looking to build an authentic M24 clone (long action and all), my advice would be to stop and just save your money for an actual M24. I believe you can still get them from Remmy, if not, there are places that specialize in M24 clones.

In all honesty, I would rather start with a 700 in .308 and dress it up like one.

Latest posts

Top Bottom