What's with people shooting ARs indoors?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Super Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think most people do mag dumps because it is fun. If you're not in to it, don't do it.

Here's the rest of the story:

I was barley an adult, and shooting with my buddy, Thomas Cook,off the bridge that was out for years on NW 164th between Rockwell and Council. Probably late 1980s, late Reagan or early Bush (the REAL Bush). Anyway, we were plinking with 22s at cans or anything that dared move, when a plain 4 door came flying our direction from the Rockwell intersection. ****, we said to each other. Maybe this wasn't the edge of city limits after all. We shot there all the time. I put my pistol down, hands at my side in clear visibility, and walked up to the car to see how much trouble we were in. The guy had a short hair cut, and aviators on. I was sure he was a policeman. I was mistaken. When I got to the window, he asked, "Is this a good place to shoot assault rifles?"

I told him "We are shooting over here." (pointed) and he got out with a Norinco underfolder, and a HUUUGE ammo can, and several drums. It was the weekend, and he had just come from one of those gun shows that we had heard about. He shot it a few times as we watched chunks of earth fly from the bank, feeling the concussion of each shot. He dumped the rest of the 30 round mag, and put in a drum, and fired several more rounds. He asked Thomas first if he wanted to shoot it, and Thomas declined. "What a dumb ass." I thought. He looked at me, and didn't have to ask. He handed it to me and I conservatively shot a few rounds. He said something like, "Let her rip!" I finished of the 40 or 50 rounds that were in that drum. Boner city. I was in love.

Don't like mag dumps? Don't do 'em. I still love to do it from time to time, although I don't do it at H&H range, because I respect their rules.

Super Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks.

I don't know about now, but 164th was the border for OKC back then. The fireworks stands always set up on the north side, but never the south, to sell. Technically, we were shooting in to the city for certain, as we always shot to the south. Several shooting days before this one, the guy just north west of the bridge asked us not to shoot to the north, as not to hit his cows accidentally.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It was stunning, that's for sure. I fired a couple of rounds thru it to see if it was as bad behind the gun as it was off to the side. It wasn't so bad shooting it, but it was still stunning to the onlookers. On the positive side, he then let me shoot his CZ-452, and THAT is a very sweet-shooting .22. I may have to get myself another one (sold the one I had years ago).

The concussion felt great to me. . . didn't bother me a bit to say the least. Just sometimes a first round or two can startle you. I know my AR with the compensator puts off a pretty good shockwave as well but with nearly zero recoil it's just a blast to shoot and my wife now loves it too. She started with a fresh mag and left four rounds for me, she thought she fired like ten. I was just laughing standing there watching her shoot especially as she picked up the pace.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I love the shockwave, and the big boom. That's part of the fun of it, to me.

Absolutely. . . after seeing that PLR16 I really want to get one. The flash was about two feet long and at least ten inches in diameter just past the muzzle. I don't think any flash hider would keep that thing from being seen.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Absolutely. . . after seeing that PLR16 I really want to get one. The flash was about two feet long and at least ten inches in diameter just past the muzzle. I don't think any flash hider would keep that thing from being seen.
N/S, I think I've got quite a few years on you, so that might explain our different reactions to the PLR-16. When I was younger, I would go to the dragstrip and think the guys wearing ear protection were sissies; now I have trouble hearing low tones on the telephone. I shot the PLR-16 and the SCAR-17, and I enjoyed the CZ in .22 LR more than either of those. And, who knows, maybe Henschman will want to sell his PLR-16?

Super Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
N/S, I think I've got quite a few years on you, so that might explain our different reactions to the PLR-16. When I was younger, I would go to the dragstrip and think the guys wearing ear protection were sissies; now I have trouble hearing low tones on the telephone. I shot the PLR-16 and the SCAR-17, and I enjoyed the CZ in .22 LR more than either of those. And, who knows, maybe Henschman will want to sell his PLR-16?

I am with you on that end. I can really only hear out of one ear, and it's not so great. I worked on Harley-Davidsons for years, rode them more than that. It is my exhaust side ear that is no good. Many a 357 Magnums I shot with no ear protection. Many more 1980s heavy metal concerts I went to, usually on the floor, and as close as we could get to the big speakers. I still love it big and loud. I just do so with hearing protection.

Latest posts

Top Bottom