What's with people shooting ARs indoors?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think the heat has got some folks testy.

I shoot my ARs in an indoor, short gunrange more than anywhere. I don't really have access to places outside to shoot. Hell, one of mine has the Rainier Mini Comp on it and that sucker is LOUD! But hell... I usually rent 2 lanes, sometimes 3 when I go. Most folks who've shot with me enjoy that rifle, say it's fun because it's so much unexpectedly louder than the others, and lots of folks come up to me asking "What caliber is your AR?" - just a plain ol' 5.56.

But damn man... it's a gunrange. I don't ***** if someone sets up next to me with a .44mag or something. It's just part of the gig. It's a gunrange. I expect it to be loud, and I always bring double ear protection - though I don't always use it.

Anyways - I don't think it's a big deal, and if someone at the range came up to me and asked me to move or stop shooting my AR at an indoor range, they'd get this:
www.macrobusiness.com.au_wp_content_uploads_2012_02_sk_incredulous1.jpg

DasSieben

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe the indoor range is close by. Id just be glad theyre shooting. Ive shot long range rifles indoors when it was all I had time for or had available. I dont see the big deal.

OKCShooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I love how this got everyone riled up! I never said it was too loud...that percussion (and subsequent rapid fire) are what let me now it is someone with an AR going all 'Rambo' at a little indoor range.

I just wondered why so many people like doing mag dumps in a small indoor range with a rifle....seemed like a big waste of time and ammo without much interest. I've never complained to anyone or made remarks to them - just didn't get it..and I still don't, it seems useless when there are outdoor areas that allow distance, you know, since it's a RIFLE.

I'd think the same thing if I saw someone with their deer rifle at a little indoor range, too.

Last edited:

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The guy next to us at the H&H Sauna was shooting an AR and a Ruger Gunsite .308. I noticed his guns were louder than my son-in-laws .380, but it wasn't bothersome. Are there better places to shoot long guns? Of course. But at least he was shooting.
Heck, I've taken my Buff Classic .45-70 to Heartland with BP loads. After everyone asks "What the hell was that?", then they want to shoot it. Never had any snobs ask me to quit 'cause it was bothering them. Even the range officer waited in line for his turn.

Dukester

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
If you're at a range and whatever the guy next to you is shooting gets too loud, get better hearing protection. You re at a shooting range for crying out loud!

Latest posts

Top Bottom