What's with people shooting ARs indoors?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I always double up on hearing protection when going to a range, indoors or outdoors. Even then, short-barrelled rifles with muzzle brakes can cause some pain.
I remember shooting a short-barreled AR at Tri-City about 20 years ago. I don't recall if it was a true SBR, a 16" barrel, or one with the "permanently pinned" flash suppressor, but I do believe that it was the loudest small arm I've ever heard, painfully loud even with high-quality hearing protection (its report was significantly louder than my A2's). I can't imagine busting a cap on that one indoors...

Stephen Cue

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
... ... ...

Lots of stuff annoy me when I am at gun range, but then again I can be a little "Larry David-like", and people annoy me everywhere :D

I would never say anything to anyone unless its unsafe behavior because those are my "ticks" that I must deal with.

And before anyone else speaks negatively about OKCShooter, Id like to see anyone of you match what he gives away every year at Christmas, even here at OSA!

Yeah he was at a range where it can be loud and he came here to vent an annoyance, but who HASNT been annoyed by someone at range?

Sir, may I suggest instead of helping this community, that is quick to bash you over a simple vent, save your charity and buy yourself a private range, I love that freedom no matter what the weather is like. :wink2:

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I dont do mag dumps but I CAN be THAT GUY who brings a .308 with a nasty break if that makes you feel any better

But are you the guy who shot 10 boxes of it indoors at 25 yards bragging about grouping haha. I had them to the left and to the right was a guy who though it was "cute" his girl couldn't handle the 40 or 45 cal pistol, he kept making her shoot it and it was walking all over the place. She hit out target twice and the holder of the target once and they thought it was hilarious.

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess I'm being cynical I went into it going to a range I didnt like( taking a friend shooting for the first time and he had a group on haha). People do tend to annoy me and I understand people want to try out their new guns or take who ever they want shooting. I think the noise bothered me most because I'm used to how heartland was a bigger space and h and h is little pods.

I will say this is my first time to have a bad experience while shooting where I felt unsafe and annoyed.

OKCShooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lots of stuff annoy me when I am at gun range, but then again I can be a little "Larry David-like", and people annoy me everywhere :D

I would never say anything to anyone unless its unsafe behavior because those are my "ticks" that I must deal with.

And before anyone else speaks negatively about OKCShooter, Id like to see anyone of you match what he gives away every year at Christmas, even here at OSA!

Yeah he was at a range where it can be loud and he came here to vent an annoyance, but who HASNT been annoyed by someone at range?

Sir, may I suggest instead of helping this community, that is quick to bash you over a simple vent, save your charity and buy yourself a private range, I love that freedom no matter what the weather is like. :wink2:

Thank you for the sentiments.

I wasn't just talking about the "noise" of an AR...I was more referring to the people that do a mag dump for no apparent reason at 25yards and how silly that seems to ME. I guess it makes sense to other people on this forum?

Anyway, I really don't care, I've never griped about it to someone - and I understand it's a range. I've shot things MUCH louder (460 Magnums with a break sure do chirp) but I was shooting for a reason - namely to actually sight in and practice placement.

Since I've posted this I have run across this type of shooter 3X now and each time I chuckle and still don't get why they are doing it (although I did see a guy actually sighting in his AR with an ACOG - that made sense!)

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I feel the "mag dump" is a power/fun trip thing, lot's of movies and TV make you feel like it needs to be done.

Look at car commercials on TV most do outrageous stunts in a new car then fine print states do not attempt.
Watch what I can do..COOL man.

But I drive my cars like I stole them most of the time.
So that probably does not make me much more sane.

I have taken a pair of 45acp's one in each hand and let them rip while trying to hit targets on private land.
It is fun.. But hits nothing..Fun Factor only.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have I gave my two cents worth yet?

I don't understand about 90% of what some people do at indoors ranges. Probably why I seldom go into one. And no offense to any of your city folks but some of your nieghbors up there scare the heck out of me. Although my last two scares were no where near a city. Shoot I guess most folks scare me at the range anymore.

Mag dumps have never been my thing with either rifle or handgun. But I have been known back in the day to show off with a rimfire.

Mostly I just wish people would practice gun safety.

Sent from Missile Silo 341A

Wheel Gun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Speaking of indoor ranges, I own one. Well, it's a tiny one. My workshop is 16' long and includes a bullet trap. I'm outside any city limits and my homeowners' association is cool with it, so I can shoot on my property legally. Anyway, I've got this bullet trap that I made from a 5 gallon pail, some rubber mats and a bunch of sand. Until very recently, I'd only ever fired handguns into it.

But, when I built my 6.8SPC AR, I wanted to do some test firing without driving all the way to the range. I was a little worried that my first round might leave the back of the trap, so I (unnecessarily) placed several plywood boards behind it. I was also worried about the noise it would make, so I (unwisely) closed all the windows and the door. The building really seals up tightly. I scooted back as far as I could--taking all 16 feet available to me. With safety glasses, hearing protectors and dust mask on, I put that front sight on the plastic lid of the trap and squeezed one off.

What happened then was remarkable. I guess 6.8SPC creates a lot of muzzle energy. Sure, the bullet hit the trap and didn't come out the back. But, the muzzle blast in that small contained area was stunning. The dust in the workshop showed me a shock wave that looked like an explosion. The shock wave slammed into the back of the shop and then turned around and bounced off me at the front. Simultaneously, about a third of the hand tools hanging on my walls jumped off their pegs and crashed to the floor. I was stunned. Firing an AR in a small enclosed place is inadvisable.

Now, I've done it quite a few times since then. I've learned to open a window at the back and I have a box fan there to draw away fumes. I also secure the tools on the wall to keep them from flying toward my jugular. With a window open, it's not bad. The wife says that she can never hear me shooting my pistols in the shop. But, when I shoot "The Operator" in there, it's quite obvious from within the house. She often makes some comment like "When the sheriff's deputies ring the doorbell, I'll let you do the talking".

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yesterday at the Eat and Shoot. (i suck at remembering names) Someone open up with A Keltec PLR-16, the sound was deafening!! :ooh2:
It was stunning, that's for sure. I fired a couple of rounds thru it to see if it was as bad behind the gun as it was off to the side. It wasn't so bad shooting it, but it was still stunning to the onlookers. On the positive side, he then let me shoot his CZ-452, and THAT is a very sweet-shooting .22. I may have to get myself another one (sold the one I had years ago).

Latest posts

Top Bottom