What's wrong with EOTech?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spooln-Rex

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Guess i need to sell my eo512 now and get an aimpoint since they are getting reasonable.........oh wait anyone who reads this thread wont buy it because they're crap:scream:

I swear this is just like comparing colt ar's to dpms ar's or the like. just because its cheaper means its crap and wont stand the test of time. Well as with most things i have seen while i have been around which hasnt been near as long as others here is such......

As long as you take care of your weapon and optics and whatever else you have it will last. Just cuz some LEO or military personell had it submerged in a river or got hit with a grenade or dropped it out of a helicopter or hell the optic got shot and it happened to be an eotech wouldnt function afterwards doesnt mean an aimpoint exposed to the same exact situation would be that much better off. i understand there are demos of guys beating the hell out of both and one will stand up to it more so than the other but seriously who here on the board is actually gonna expose their weapon system to that kind of abuse on a regular basis to justify needing it.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Guess i need to sell my eo512 now and get an aimpoint since they are getting reasonable.........oh wait anyone who reads this thread wont buy it because they're crap:scream:

I swear this is just like comparing colt ar's to dpms ar's or the like. just because its cheaper means its crap and wont stand the test of time. Well as with most things i have seen while i have been around which hasnt been near as long as others here is such......

As long as you take care of your weapon and optics and whatever else you have it will last. Just cuz some LEO or military personell had it submerged in a river or got hit with a grenade or dropped it out of a helicopter or hell the optic got shot and it happened to be an eotech wouldnt function afterwards doesnt mean an aimpoint exposed to the same exact situation would be that much better off. i understand there are demos of guys beating the hell out of both and one will stand up to it more so than the other but seriously who here on the board is actually gonna expose their weapon system to that kind of abuse on a regular basis to justify needing it.

So other than being a few dollars cheaper, how is the Eotech better than the Aimpoint?

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't think they are saying that at all. If you will check the links, the Aimpoint that lillysdad suggested is actually cheaper than the Eotech or about the same price.

That is why I asked about me, and gave my intended uses. Not everyone does need the most expensive, but if I feel that I might in the future become a SEAL, I would invest in it now. (I'm 47, and have no knees left, so I think that is out)

Josh-L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I swear this is just like comparing colt ar's to dpms ar's or the like. just because its cheaper means its crap and wont stand the test of time.

I didn't see any of which you speak. If you have a more valid argument to support the Eo being just as good as the Aimpoint other then your case of using one for less then 400 rounds over a period of who knows how long then I'm sure we all would love to hear them. We have listed why we think one is better than the other. Why can't the Eo fans do the same?

Spooln-Rex

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To me honstly both optics are very close in comparison. this is my opinion though i like them both but i like the better fov withe the eo vs aimpoint. i prefer the buttons rather than the rotary switch. i dont know the eotech in my book is a great optic and the issues they used to have seem to have been fixed. my only gripe is it doesnt have a million hours of run time like the aimpoint but i carry extra batteries so thats not a concern.

also i know the majority of us dont have these optics on guns we dont use. But my point was is this. none of us are going to deliberately try to damage the optic just to see what it can take so next time you know its limits. yes there are many stories saying well this happened and the optic did or didnt fail. But every situation is different both of them would need to be tested side by side with a contol of some sort to say ok well the aimpoint can withstand a 10megaton nuclear warhead where as the eotech can take a 1 megaton nuclear warhead.

And yes i read the past issues with eotechs but to me it is still a good optic and i have yet to see any issues with mine in the time i have owned it. But all this is based on my personal opinion and take it for what its worth coming a 23yr old city boy:musketeers:

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I do like my EoTech 512.A65 (F mod version), which I've had in service for six months. It's on a hard-kicking (for an AR) M4 style AR. The red display suddenly died while I was firing, something around the 1,500 round mark last month. EoTech provided a RA the next day. Their repair division turned around the unit the same day they received it. It's back on the AR and I'm back to trying to break it.

repete34

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Aimpoint snobs are kinda like colt snobs I guess :rolleyes2 They can give you a million reasons why they are better, but for me it is pretty simple, an eotech under $400 that can mount right on your gun without having to buy a mount like you do on the super special military op that makes your gun shoot 5x better aimpoint just makes more sense to me, I don't know maybe I'm weird. I bet if the military issued eotech then they would become the magical red dot that aimpoint is.

Have you ever done a night match or any night shooting with a Eotech? I have and the reticule circle jerk going on in there prohibits seeing any targets at 100 yards let alone 300yds. The Aimpoint is not like that, it looks like a laser. As far as the price... you get what you pay for.

If you are only going to use it for local daytime matches and to show your friends in the living room then get the eotech or a bushnell for that matter. It is a tool and this tool has a 40,000 hour battery life (if you leave it on)
I also do not know how, if you have both eyes open, you are prohibited from seeing anything when using a Aimpoint.

I have been using the same Aimpoint for 5 or so years and have thousands of rounds through the gun. It just keeps on working, so well in fact that I would go to battle with it.

jcbarlow

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have you ever done a night match or any night shooting with a Eotech? I have and the reticule circle jerk going on in there prohibits seeing any targets at 100 yards let alone 300yds. The Aimpoint is not like that, it looks like a laser. As far as the price... you get what you pay for.

If you are only going to use it for local daytime matches and to show your friends in the living room then get the eotech or a bushnell for that matter. It is a tool and this tool has a 40,000 hour battery life (if you leave it on)
I also do not know how, if you have both eyes open, you are prohibited from seeing anything when using a Aimpoint.

I have been using the same Aimpoint for 5 or so years and have thousands of rounds through the gun. It just keeps on working, so well in fact that I would go to battle with it.

Yes I have shot it at night, altought it wasn't "match shooting" I didn't have any trouble with "reticle jerk". If i was planning on accuartely shooting at something at 300 yards I sure as hell wouldnt have a red dot sight on my gun. I have no problem at all using both eyes open. Seems like people just have all these reasons why eotech sucks, It all comes down to personal preference and that is as far as it goes. Try both, and buy what you like the best.

patrickcudd

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It seems that there are several people who have had problems with Eo's (I know there are several that have had zero problems too). I haven't heard one person saying they've had a problem with their Aimpoints or ACOGS. That alone should say something.

You are right, Lillysdad...the ACOG combo is probably too much for his needs, but I always try to get more than I think I will need.

The DR seems nice with it setting on top of a 3.5X ACOG you have, you have all bases covered. To me the DR Optic is on par with the Aimpoint, except for ruggedness. I have zero expierence with these. Does anyone have an opinion on this?

Latest posts

Top Bottom