What's wrong with EOTech?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sumoj275

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Guess i need to sell my eo512 now and get an aimpoint since they are getting reasonable.........oh wait anyone who reads this thread wont buy it because they're crap:scream:

I swear this is just like comparing colt ar's to dpms ar's or the like. just because its cheaper means its crap and wont stand the test of time. Well as with most things i have seen while i have been around which hasnt been near as long as others here is such......

As long as you take care of your weapon and optics and whatever else you have it will last. Just cuz some LEO or military personell had it submerged in a river or got hit with a grenade or dropped it out of a helicopter or hell the optic got shot and it happened to be an eotech wouldnt function afterwards doesnt mean an aimpoint exposed to the same exact situation would be that much better off. i understand there are demos of guys beating the hell out of both and one will stand up to it more so than the other but seriously who here on the board is actually gonna expose their weapon system to that kind of abuse on a regular basis to justify needing it.

I don't even know where to go with your reasoning. To some, these weapons are toys and to others they are life saving tools. In my opinion buy the best quality you can but don't say one thing is as good as another when there is documented proof otherwise.

sumoj275

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To me honstly both optics are very close in comparison. this is my opinion though i like them both but i like the better fov withe the eo vs aimpoint. i prefer the buttons rather than the rotary switch. i dont know the eotech in my book is a great optic and the issues they used to have seem to have been fixed. my only gripe is it doesnt have a million hours of run time like the aimpoint but i carry extra batteries so thats not a concern.

also i know the majority of us dont have these optics on guns we dont use. But my point was is this. none of us are going to deliberately try to damage the optic just to see what it can take so next time you know its limits. yes there are many stories saying well this happened and the optic did or didnt fail. But every situation is different both of them would need to be tested side by side with a contol of some sort to say ok well the aimpoint can withstand a 10megaton nuclear warhead where as the eotech can take a 1 megaton nuclear warhead.

And yes i read the past issues with eotechs but to me it is still a good optic and i have yet to see any issues with mine in the time i have owned it. But all this is based on my personal opinion and take it for what its worth coming a 23yr old city boy:musketeers:

You mention you prefer the buttons to the dial of an Aimpoint. How much have you pushed the buttons with gloves on? I have done both and prefer the dial.

I will give it to Eotech on figuring a lot of the problems out but the idea of carrying extra batteries is not a fav of mine.

Eotech reticule is ok, but I find the Aimpoint easier to use--especially over the Eotech 557.

YMMV

Spiff

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like my EoTech. I really do. But my next red dot will definitely be an Aimpoint of some flavor.

I don't like having to turn it on when weird noises happen at night, and I have had dead batteries a few times. The buttons on my 512 are hard to get to with a LaRue fixed buis right behind it. Aimpoints don't have any of those problems.

sumoj275

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I had my ACOG with the Dr on top (TA 32 DOC) I loved it. However, after loosing some vision in my right eye (dominant) the reticule was all fuzzy and I could not get used to it. Now, with the Aimpoint that I went back to, no problems because it is both eyes open. I am hoping to try another members Larue Poorboy Special to see if the magnification will work for me with the single dot.

repete34

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes I have shot it at night, altought it wasn't "match shooting" I didn't have any trouble with "reticle jerk". If i was planning on accuartely shooting at something at 300 yards I sure as hell wouldnt have a red dot sight on my gun. I have no problem at all using both eyes open. Seems like people just have all these reasons why eotech sucks, It all comes down to personal preference and that is as far as it goes. Try both, and buy what you like the best.

The reticule "Circle jerk" I mentioned was in poor taste. But what I was reffering to was the size and amount of the reticule.

The personal preference you mentioned is correct. But the topic was "what's wrong with the Eotech"

I have shot a Aimpoint with a 2moa red dot well past 300yds. 9in plates from 100-300 yards was normally what we shot at before I moved here. Larue targets from 200-400 yards was also normal. Check out www.dmrpc.org

An Aimpoint with a 2moa red dot with or without a 3X work fine at 300+ yards. (I prefer the 3X) people shoot with irons past 300 as well.

If you are happy with your Eotech then keep it and run with it. I just have enough reasons to like dislike the eotech and buy the Aimpoint.

No offense intended.

jcbarlow

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The reticule "Circle jerk" I mentioned was in poor taste. But what I was reffering to was the size and amount of the reticule.

The personal preference you mentioned is correct. But the topic was "what's wrong with the Eotech"

I have shot a Aimpoint with a 2moa red dot well past 300yds. 9in plates from 100-300 yards was normally what we shot at before I moved here. Larue targets from 200-400 yards was also normal. Check out www.dmrpc.org

An Aimpoint with a 2moa red dot with or without a 3X work fine at 300+ yards. (I prefer the 3X) people shoot with irons past 300 as well.

If you are happy with your Eotech then keep it and run with it. I just have enough reasons to like dislike the eotech and buy the Aimpoint.

No offense intended.

+1 to each his own

mmchambers06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll leave your ignorant comment there and visit another section of this forum. Good luck w/ the optic search. Hope you find some decent advise.

It's not really an ignorant comment (he is qualified to talk on the subject) but he probably should have offered some explanation.

FOV is a non-issue on any red dot scope if you shoot both eyes open.

Latest posts

Top Bottom