What's your training regimen?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thesensei

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just a question to spark conversation and ideas! How do you train? Is there a course/instructor that you work with regularly? What do you do when you go to the range? Do competitions enter into your training? What defensive skills are you developing beyond firearms?

I look forward to the responses!

ef9turbo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
On the private range I have access to, I do fundamental shooting. Working on presentation, grip, stance, slack-out, follow through, etc., from various distances of 5-25yd, obviously starting from 5.

I dry fire and do a lot of slide lock reloads at the house with various different gear on (duty/competiton/concealed). I also keep all my gear placed around the same area in all training aspects as I do my duty gear, for familiarization.

The only "real" shooting I get to do is at local matches or paid trainings.

Defensive skills beyond my firearms isn't so much martial arts or anything in that area, as I have a little bit of hands on training. It's more of mental readiness, due to the fact that 95% of the time when I'm out, it's with my wife. I avoid certain places, try to avoid staying out too late, know my exit routes, what to do if SHTF around us, etc. I know, what if... If I do find myself in a situation, I'm going to have to stay alive for mine and my wife's sake. In a perfect word, I would be a black belt in everything, a grand master in shooting, and rich to afford all the training, gear, etc., but this isn't a real world, and I do what I can with what I have.

thesensei

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looks like some good stuff. I assume with presentation, you're also including the draw-stroke? Do you practice from concealment?

What kind of drills do you use to practice your shooting skills - slack out, follow through, etc.?

You're right on "mental readiness". Out of all the skill-sets we train, that's probably the most important. It's not easy to train, but it doesn't cost anything. And it is probably the one thing that will defuse most bad situations before they occur.

ef9turbo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Looks like some good stuff. I assume with presentation, you're also including the draw-stroke? Do you practice from concealment?

What kind of drills do you use to practice your shooting skills - slack out, follow through, etc.?

You're right on "mental readiness". Out of all the skill-sets we train, that's probably the most important. It's not easy to train, but it doesn't cost anything. And it is probably the one thing that will defuse most bad situations before they occur.

Yes and yes.

As far as drills, nothing real special. I just like to go over fundamental shooting that I've learned from the academy and TDSA. I just imagine myself at the range with the big NDN hovering behind me, telling me to slack out, it's a race to the wall, etc. :P

jtischauser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Latest posts

Top Bottom