When do you clean your firearms?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

When do you clean your firearms?

• After you take them to the range

Votes: 27 61.4%
  • Before you take them to the range

Votes: 3 6.8%
  • Never

Votes: 4 9.1%
  • What guns? The only gun I ever owned was lost in a tragic boating accident.

Votes: 10 22.7%

• Total voters

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
04E33D6D-6CD7-434B-9702-F1DB1437BA61.jpeg

In all honesty my carry weapons get cleaned every time they get shot. My hunting weapons get cleaned every time they get taken out to play. I’m pretty meticulous about cleaning my bores, even if it’s a couple of swabs before putting the rifle away. I’m terrified of the idea of developing pitting and corrosion. I typically clean my revolvers every time they’re shot, I like the stainless looking clean without black streaks everywhere, and worry about corrosion on the finish.
When I purchase a firearm it always gets cleaned up, deburred, and gone through. If it’s a carry weapon I abuse the crap out of it for about 1k rounds or until malfunction, whichever comes first; before I start cleaning it, same with my ARs and AKs. My rimfires, once the barrel is fouled, get a dry swab down the bore every once in a while and a good wipe down regularly. They get cleaned when they start grouping poorly. My 10/22 actually made it a good 6 years before it’s first good cleaning.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I run a bore snake through the .22s before putting them away. I'll break them down for a thorough cleaning when they start acting up or when I can see that the action is just getting absolutely filthy. If I'm not going to be shooting one for a while, it'll get a good cleaning and oiled before going back on the rack.
My EDC gets wiped down at least monthly and cleaned after any shooting session.
The shotguns, well, I think I cleaned one of them once upon a time.
The Mosins and SKSs? If I shoot corrosive ammo they get cleaned right away. Otherwise, I'll do it when I get around to it.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I saw this on another gun forum I frequent.

IMG_2415.jpg

Comes with a jag and available in different calibers.
Use a normal patch to wet the bore and use several of these felt plugs to finish the clean.
The guy I got the tip from uses string trimmer line vs a rod and jag.
My .30 cal and 6mm plugs are on the way.

Forgalspop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I saw this on another gun forum I frequent.

View attachment 201731

Comes with a jag and available in different calibers.
Use a normal patch to wet the bore and use several of these felt plugs to finish the clean.
The guy I got the tip from uses string trimmer line vs a rod and jag.
My .30 cal and 6mm plugs are on the way.

I use the trimmer line technique and bore snakes vs the rod & jag . Being cheap I make my own patches out of old t-shirts. The trimmer line technique works great.

Latest posts

Top Bottom