Where did my rear sight go? (M&P .22 Compact Pistol)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
:scratch: I was shooting this little dandy of a pistol, having a really good time and putting the shots pretty much right where I wanted them to go, when I noticed that the rear sight aperture was looking awfully big. I mean....humongously big...really outta whack ginormous big. Upon careful examination, I found that I was missing the teeny tiny little part of the pistol's adjustable rear sight configuration that actually slips down between two itsy bitsy fixed rear sight blades and which is supposed to be held in place between a teeny tiny little spring and an equally teeny and tiny windage adjustment screw. "Crap", I thinks to meself. "This sucks".

So, as best I can figure, the dang thing must have just sproinged on up and outta there and thus, must be just lying on the deck somewhere close by. So I casually look around, to no avail. And then I crawled around, peering more intently under the edges of the stalls in the range, in and around the assorted sundry crap people toss on the deck at the range, and then around the trash cans and so on. No luck; no rear sight piece to be found.

I got home, called S&W Customer Service and spoke to a guy named Richard. He sort of chuckled a bit and told me that this exact thing happens frequently, that one can turn that rear sight windage adjustment screw just a bit too far and take just enough tension off the rear sight "tab", as he called it, and allow the thing to launch itself while firing. I asked Richard where the thing went and as suspected, he told me that of course it went to that other dimension where assorted tiny springs and screws and other small gun parts frequently go when we are monkeying around with them.

Anyway, Richard told me that he was going to send me a new rear sight tab, a new spring to fit that assembly, and a new adjustment screw as well! As always has been my experience, Smith & Wesson Customer Service comes through! And as an aside, this in no way diminishes my enthusiasm and amount of like for this little pistola. I have shot the BeeJeebus outta this gun, with about every kind of ammo you can stuff in it, from those green Remington Thunderturds all the way up to CCI match ammo and Mini Mags. This gun does not care; as long as it says ".22 LR" on the box, it will eat 'em up!
:clap3:Thanks Smith; and thanks to your business partner, Wesson too.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
:scratch: I was shooting this little dandy of a pistol, having a really good time and putting the shots pretty much right where I wanted them to go, when I noticed that the rear sight aperture was looking awfully big. I mean....humongously big...really outta whack ginormous big. Upon careful examination, I found that I was missing the teeny tiny little part of the pistol's adjustable rear sight configuration that actually slips down between two itsy bitsy fixed rear sight blades and which is supposed to be held in place between a teeny tiny little spring and an equally teeny and tiny windage adjustment screw. "Crap", I thinks to meself. "This sucks".

So, as best I can figure, the dang thing must have just sproinged on up and outta there and thus, must be just lying on the deck somewhere close by. So I casually look around, to no avail. And then I crawled around, peering more intently under the edges of the stalls in the range, in and around the assorted sundry crap people toss on the deck at the range, and then around the trash cans and so on. No luck; no rear sight piece to be found.

I got home, called S&W Customer Service and spoke to a guy named Richard. He sort of chuckled a bit and told me that this exact thing happens frequently, that one can turn that rear sight windage adjustment screw just a bit too far and take just enough tension off the rear sight "tab", as he called it, and allow the thing to launch itself while firing. I asked Richard where the thing went and as suspected, he told me that of course it went to that other dimension where assorted tiny springs and screws and other small gun parts frequently go when we are monkeying around with them.

Anyway, Richard told me that he was going to send me a new rear sight tab, a new spring to fit that assembly, and a new adjustment screw as well! As always has been my experience, Smith & Wesson Customer Service comes through! And as an aside, this in no way diminishes my enthusiasm and amount of like for this little pistola. I have shot the BeeJeebus outta this gun, with about every kind of ammo you can stuff in it, from those green Remington Thunderturds all the way up to CCI match ammo and Mini Mags. This gun does not care; as long as it says ".22 LR" on the box, it will eat 'em up!
:clap3:Thanks Smith; and thanks to your business partner, Wesson too.

Available at lowes. Get one to pick up shot shell hulls and wayward springs, etc.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hillman-Magnetic-Power-Pick/3363970

FreeSpiritBalloon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, are TWO Marines better at finding things that just one?

As an Army vet, I have fewer problems with losing things, but when I do, I usually find them.

Well, except my memory at times.

Marines finding things depends on what it is and how many other places they could acquire another one but breaking things, absolutely!

I may have to get the 22 compact. Is it the same size as the 40/357 Sig compact for cheaper practice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So, are TWO Marines better at finding things that just one?

As an Army vet, I have fewer problems with losing things, but when I do, I usually find them.

Well, except my memory at times.

No. We probably wouldn't have found the little tab anyway but we might have managed to either lose or destroy something else in the process.

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Find you a good magnet and sweep the area might get lucky that way i know i have a few of the times.

I need to get one that will do it's "mageneto" thing on plastic then, cause a lot of these tiny parts are made of plastic or like substances.

Latest posts

Top Bottom