Where to find Black Powder

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lpcullen

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I haven't bought any in years and could stand to have a few pounds to reload with. Does anyone still carry regular black powder or has the world gone completely to substitutes? The last I bought was at Outdoor America and it was $8.00/lb if that tells you anything! I'm sure if it is available locally it will be considerably more now. Also I heard something about an OKC ordnance making storing BP by retailers prohibitively expensive, is this the reason it has become scarce? Any help appreciated.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
guess my eyes weren't taking time to read it all. I thought I saw pyrodex, and black powder, in pellets and powder. my mistake.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I haven't bought any in years and could stand to have a few pounds to reload with. Does anyone still carry regular black powder or has the world gone completely to substitutes? The last I bought was at Outdoor America and it was $8.00/lb if that tells you anything! I'm sure if it is available locally it will be considerably more now. Also I heard something about an OKC ordnance making storing BP by retailers prohibitively expensive, is this the reason it has become scarce? Any help appreciated.

The ordinance you're referring to comes from the Fire Codes. Retailers are allowed to keep so many pounds of powder on "display". They can have the rest in the back in storage like they do everything else. It's not specifically black powder, but all gun powders. There is nothing really prohibitive about it other than the salesman having to move from one area of the store to another to get it and bring it to the customer.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The ordinance you're referring to comes from the Fire Codes. Retailers are allowed to keep so many pounds of powder on "display". They can have the rest in the back in storage like they do everything else. It's not specifically black powder, but all gun powders. There is nothing really prohibitive about it other than the salesman having to move from one area of the store to another to get it and bring it to the customer.

Actually Black Powder is not classified as a small arms gunpowder, but as an explosive with a 1.1D rating. This complicates the ability of commercial dealers to store properly and for insurance to cover in case of fire. This also creates issues with common carriers to transport. Depending on the quantity stored or transported certain safeguards have to be in effect. This is one reason most dealers don't or won't stock it. Pyrodex doesn't carry this classification, it is listed as with most other powders a 1.4S.

Latest posts

Top Bottom