Where to shoot in Lawton/Duncan area...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Revived

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
New to the area and looking for a place to shoot closer than OKC or Altus... don't mind the drive just don't always have the time to drive that far for a little lunch trigger time... Thanks

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There are a few possibilities:

- Privately owned Weapons (POW) Range on Ft Sill but you must either have a valid ID or be the guest of a valid ID card holder, there are other restrictions as well but it is a very convenient location

- Bruce Ausley of Ausley's Law Enforcement Accessories - 1014 Sw D Ave Lawton, OK 73501, has a range on the south side of Lawton, go to his shop to rent and get instructions for range entry/use.

- Yellow Rose Indoor Firing Range in Altus, OK. I think they are open Tue-Sat and range costs around $15.00 per hour.

- Stephens County Rifle and Pistol (SCRAP) Club range in Duncan, OK. Private range requires membership.

You can google info on any of the above - good luck.
BTW - you should consider joining the Lawton Branch of the Fat Guy Shooting Team (FGST) for lunch. We meet Fridays at 11:45, location varies (a little) but always in Lawton proper. Search for the thread about Lawton FGST and you'll find our meeting discussion - updated weekly.

Coach_1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The SCRAP club in Duncan is a great place. I've shot out there many times. They offer many different matches to shoot in. Plus the membership is really cheap.

elguapo503

New to the site!
Reaction score
I'm looking for a place myself. They shutdown the POW range on post due to budget cuts. I'll have to checkout Bruce's. Anyone know the legality of shooting outside city limits?

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They shutdown the POW range on post due to budget cuts.
Recently? It was still open two - or may have been three - weeks ago; they mentioned they had the new steel targets in but hadn't gotten them installed yet.

<edit>Just checked and it still shows open on the Range schedule this week(?) Was planning to go out tomorrow afternoon, guess I need to call and check first.</edit>

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Recently? It was still open two - or may have been three - weeks ago; they mentioned they had the new steel targets in but hadn't gotten them installed yet.

<edit>Just checked and it still shows open on the Range schedule this week(?) Was planning to go out tomorrow afternoon, guess I need to call and check first.</edit>

Sanford I don't think the POW range closed - I believe that they closed the skeet range but yes, please check.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anyone know the legality of shooting outside city limits?

If you are outside of the city limits on property you own or a friends with permission and are not endangering others or shooting over a highway or interstate you should be fine. I have friends who have a Lawton zip code and are out by medicine park who shoot by their house.

I also know some people opt to go down to Walters to the range, I believe it is a police range so you have to jump through some hoops to be able to use it.

elguapo503

New to the site!
Reaction score
Maybe they moved it. 2 friends of mine both called me last week and said it had been closed and asked if I knew somewhere else to shoot. I'll drive there now and verify.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe they moved it. 2 friends of mine both called me last week and said it had been closed and asked if I knew somewhere else to shoot. I'll drive there now and verify.

Ahhh...yes. The old POW range was closed and a new one was opened near Lake George on Ft Sill. There is another thread discussing the somewhat better setup at the new range - short version -- the pistol and rifle ranges have divergent aimpoints so one range can now go cold while the other remains hot. The old setup necessitated everyone going cold if anyone wanted to go forward of the firing line.

elguapo503

New to the site!
Reaction score
Ok, yeah it was moved. I found the new location, thanks for the info. I'll have to pass this on, we were all about to start crying cuz we had nowhere to go lol.

Latest posts

Top Bottom