Where will you open carry, if anywhere?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

reddog1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If this passes....

Just wanting to check in with everyone and see.

Where will you open carry, if anywhere?

I personally will not open carry into any business at this time, however I will OC when walking with my family around the block. or at a picnic out at the lake, etc. Just OC outside.

I just see a big problem with maybe trying to go to WalMart, or KFC etc. But I KNOW some people will try it. Just wondering which one of youzzz will try things like that. and which of you wont OC at all, or likr me... just outside.

Take a second and let us know how you feel about the whole thing!!

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I grew up in the Gold Star Open Carry State of KY, so I don't have to guess. Unlike many, I've actually open carried for years, and KY does not "look like the wild west" nor "have panic in the streets."

There are "social graces" to be learned in openly carrying a weapon, as with driving a car or just dealing with the public. Here's some of the things to consider:

If in a crowded place or a more formal occassion, it is considered polite to cover up.
If alone in rough areas, tactics might suggest a low profile, concealed.

Secure holsters are a must if carrying open where people are right up next to you.
Commenting on someone carrying open like in a gas station where they are obviously carrying on a trip is consided very rude.
Carrying open with any hint you are drinking warrants immediate LEO attention.
Carrying open in downtown near the bars will get you checked by every LEO you meet.
Save the big fancy handgun in the tooled holster for the bar-b-que with others of like mind. Don't take it to the National Quilt Fair just to scare the Chicago tourists: it's impolite.

If you walk into the store carrying open and the clerk says "don't bring that gun in here," say, Yes Mam'm, turn and leave.

If you walk into my bank back there carrying open, and the teller says, "Please remove your cap and sunglasses," do so immediately. You can have your gun, but you can't be disguised in a bank.

Last time I went to the riverfront festival, I saw maybe half a dozen people carry open in a total of a few thousand. Mine was concealed.

Where do I almost always carry open in KY? Walking my own property and driving to the range or to hunting.

reddog1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I grew up in the Gold Star Open Carry State of KY, so I don't have to guess. Unlike many, I've actually open carried for years, and KY does not "look like the wild west" nor "have panic in the streets."

There are "social graces" to be learned in openly carrying a weapon, as with driving a car or just dealing with the public. Here's some of the things to consider:

If in a crowded place or a more formal occassion, it is considered polite to cover up.
If alone in rough areas, tactics might suggest a low profile, concealed.

Secure holsters are a must if carrying open where people are right up next to you.
Commenting on someone carrying open like in a gas station where they are obviously carrying on a trip is consided very rude.
Carrying open with any hint you are drinking warrants immediate LEO attention.
Carrying open in downtown near the bars will get you checked by every LEO you meet.
Save the big fancy handgun in the tooled holster for the bar-b-que with others of like mind. Don't take it to the National Quilt Fair just to scare the Chicago tourists: it's impolite.

If you walk into the store carrying open and the clerk says "don't bring that gun in here," say, Yes Mam'm, turn and leave.

If you walk into my bank back there carrying open, and the teller says, "Please remove your cap and sunglasses," do so immediately. You can have your gun, but you can't be disguised in a bank.

Last time I went to the riverfront festival, I saw maybe half a dozen people carry open in a total of a few thousand. Mine was concealed.

Where do I almost always carry open in KY? Walking my own property and driving to the range or to hunting.

+1 very cool.... "Open Carry Ethics" That should be a sticky if this bill gets passed!!!!!

Thanks!

Keyser328

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I likely will not OC much, if at all. More than anything, I don't want to be paranoid if my shirt comes up as I reach for something.

Street Rat

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I find no reason to open carry, I hardly ever tuck a shirt in unless I'm at work. I will more than likely ditch the IWB holsters and carry at 3 o'clock and wont mind so much if the end of the barrel is visible, I just don't want it to be obvious. I would hope that we see some people open carry, there just seems to be to many people that are still ignorant in their view of guns. Maybe that will never change.

Right now, I'm more concerned if there is going to be enough support if the governor vetoes the bill if it passes the house for an over-ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom