Where will you open carry, if anywhere?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not the only post in this thread stating the same thing quoted above so I am not picking on Badge Bunny who wrote it just commenting on the concepts behind it.

That said:

What the hell is wrong with those of you who think those who will choose to open carry are trying to prove they are Billy Bad Ass. Geez.

OC=Comfort
OC=Quicker Presentation if necessary
OC=A way to normalize the presence of firearms in our society thru desensification

I'm sure there are other reasons but those are my top three.

The tacticians can argue all they want that OC equals giving up the element of surprise and I'll argue right back that predators are hunting for prey not other predators.

The bliss ninny apologists can argue all they want that OC will scare the sheep and it is only polite to cover up. And I'll argue right back that I am not responsible for their neurosis or their phobias - they are. I will not be inconvenienced for them.

The politicians can cry out "there'll be blood in the streets" all they want and I'll shout back where is it? Show me!

And on and on and on...

Those of us who choose to open carry (assuming the government gives us permission - to do something that is a natural right) won't be doing it to prove we are Billy Bad Asses and it's down right insulting to be told that; especially by fellow firearms enthusiasts and freedom lovers that ought to know better.

For your top three:

1) I find handguns comforting not comfortable. Dress around your gear and I don't see comfort as an issue but I certainly accept that others may disagree.

2) Speed of presentation is subordinate to speed of decision making in personal protection situations and speed of decision making will be rendered less effective by giving away the fact that one is armed.

3) I find this the most persuasive argument of the three but don't believe it will occur as too many in society are terrified at the sight of a firearm.

As far as suspects hunting for prey not predators, to paraphrase the great Col. Cooper said, you are no more armed for owning a pistol than you are a musician because you own a violin.

A lot of police officers get disarmed on an annual basis and they are most certainly known to be armed.

YOU make yourself a predator; Your pistol does not.

Michael Brown

OkieOutlaw

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I will probably never open carry except when doing chores around the farm or going hunting. That said the only reason I support open carry is for the fact that I don't have to worry so much about my weapon printing or my shirt riding up and inadvertantly exposing my weapon. I will still do my best to keep it out of sight and a total surprize for the bad guy. I see the potential for way to many people playing Billy Bad Azz and carrying openly as a fashion statement and believe me when I say I know a couple of guys around here that would do it just to show off.

BlackRifle762

Marksman
Reaction score
I would open carry rarely, but I have been in situations which would have been more quickly diffused by pulling my coat behind my holster, to put d bag on notice that if he continues it will end poorly.

First and foremost, it's a right we should not pick and choose which rights we endorse, we should fight for every single right that has been usurped. It is the duty of a righteous American to stand up and speak out against all infringments, regardless of whether it applies to them or not.

In response to the post 2 back from Michael Brown. It took decades and decades of exposure to liberal ideas to create such a bunch of gun fearing weenies, and it will take decades and decades to de-weenify the masses by letting them see that guns don't = violence. These things take time.

As far as the original post I will continue to openly carry on my property, other than that I would not transition to open carry unless an environment became hostile (read imminently violent) to me or mine.

kcatto

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You know there is a case being heard soon on the 10 circuit federal district court... about a store that put up the no gun sign....

There was a situation where a guy went into a store with a no gun sign, he left his gun in the truck to follow the law and was shot during a robbery that occurred while he was in the store shopping....

he filed civil suit against the store, stating that the store took away his right to self defense by not allowing his weapon on premises and so then the store must also assume the liability of his protection.... He won his civil case in all lower courts.... but it has been appealed to a higher court.... This may go all the way to the supreme court.... as the lower federal court is expected to rule in his favor.... I believe that if store owner places these signs they must either take responsibility for their customers safety or they must place placards stating that this store or the owners of the store do not guarantee your safety while on property.... (of course advertising, "shop here it is unsafe" will do wonders for businesses).... this is all I know of this case.... my friend is a bottom dwelling lawyer and he was telling me about the case.....

besides all the stores that put up these no gun signs just drive people to wal-mart.... as wal-marts company policy states there stance on weapons is whatever is legal in the state where their stores are located is their weapons policy....

neverjeg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You know there is a case being heard soon on the 10 circuit federal district court... about a store that put up the no gun sign....

There was a situation where a guy went into a store with a no gun sign, he left his gun in the truck to follow the law and was shot during a robbery that occurred while he was in the store shopping....

he filed civil suit against the store, stating that the store took away his right to self defense by not allowing his weapon on premises and so then the store must also assume the liability of his protection.... He won his civil case in all lower courts.... but it has been appealed to a higher court.... This may go all the way to the supreme court.... as the lower federal court is expected to rule in his favor.... I believe that if store owner places these signs they must either take responsibility for their customers safety or they must place placards stating that this store or the owners of the store do not guarantee your safety while on property.... (of course advertising, "shop here it is unsafe" will do wonders for businesses).... this is all I know of this case.... my friend is a bottom dwelling lawyer and he was telling me about the case.....

besides all the stores that put up these no gun signs just drive people to wal-mart.... as wal-marts company policy states there stance on weapons is whatever is legal in the state where their stores are located is their weapons policy....

I've been wondering when and if this would happen. Seems like the logical defense however is that you did NOT have to enter the store to begin with. Now, if it was someplace you had to be?? Then it would be different. But I really don't know where one has to be except if called to court and your own funeral.

Reaction score
What the hell is wrong with those of you who think those who will choose to open carry are trying to prove they are Billy Bad Ass. Geez.

OC=Comfort
OC=Quicker Presentation if necessary
OC=A way to normalize the presence of firearms in our society thru desensification

I'm sure there are other reasons but those are my top three.

The tacticians can argue all they want that OC equals giving up the element of surprise and I'll argue right back that predators are hunting for prey not other predators.

The bliss ninny apologists can argue all they want that OC will scare the sheep and it is only polite to cover up. And I'll argue right back that I am not responsible for their neurosis or their phobias - they are. I will not be inconvenienced for them.

The politicians can cry out "there'll be blood in the streets" all they want and I'll shout back where is it? Show me!

And on and on and on...

Those of us who choose to open carry (assuming the government gives us permission - to do something that is a natural right) won't be doing it to prove we are Billy Bad Asses and it's down right insulting to be told that; especially by fellow firearms enthusiasts and freedom lovers that ought to know better.

Hear, hear! Thank you werewolf - wisely spoken! :)

marvinvwinkle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it ever happens, I believe the Billy BA's will be eliminated quickly. I don't believe there are many of them and they tend to be bully's that need to wear diapers if something bad went down.

Bullbuster

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All the Billy BA's talk is a bunch of crap. CCr's and non carriers alike say that's what your trying to be if you OC. Gimmy a break we are still carrying a weapon just not covered. So the BBA thing can apply to CCr's as well as your still carrying a weapon.

I'll OC ANYTIME I SEE FIT. But I must wait till that day comes to OK. I've been OC'ing in other states I've lived for years and been around it even longer so all the Anti-OC talk ain't but sheeple mumbles to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom