Whew! Grinding Wheat

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

becker_atc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have bought 50 pound sacks at the elevator before was not the cleanest stuff with some chaff and other specs of grains maybe occasional pebble.

Other than that for me atleast come from the combine.

Mike_60

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Buying wheat is highly regulated. My understanding is that all of the varieties grown, except heirloom varieties sold directly by farmers, are illegal to sell to the general public. I was told that Monsanto was behind the legislation that did that to protect their products and revenue stream. They don't want anyone saving seed and attempting to raise crops without buying from them. I've also read, that Monsanto, has been very aggressive in trying to put the small farmer and their heirloom seeds out of business.

BTW, properly packed and stored wheat berries last for many decades and are highly nutritional, relatively cheap, can be prepared in a multitude of ways, and taste get.

becker_atc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I bought the bagged wheat I was in high school so like 04 or 05 I was told by guy there I'm not supposed to plant it even if I didn't have intentions of harvesting it. I was " mixing chicken feed".

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score

Mike_60

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Red winter wheat is more common around here and is what's used mostly for breads. The white wheat varieties are mixed with reds for lighter bread types and use more in pastries.

pnuner

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
They have hard red also for the same price, the white was just the first one I came to for the link and what I usually buy. It's been my understanding that there wasn't much difference between hard red and hard white for bread. Soft white is used for cakes and such I thought.

Latest posts

Top Bottom