Which AK mags?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garand

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The shape and features would help more. Pics would help too.

Pics as promised.

(ignore the duct tape residue :brick:)

gkasper.smugmug.com_photos_i_NB4kCzX_0_XL_i_NB4kCzX_XL.jpg

gkasper.smugmug.com_photos_i_7L7ZJD7_0_XL_i_7L7ZJD7_XL.jpg

gkasper.smugmug.com_photos_i_vkScs84_0_XL_i_vkScs84_XL.jpg

pak-40

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Circle 10 mags are great...but pricy! I bought 10 of them about 5 years ago and cringed...even then.....at paying 20 bucks each for them. Most recently, even before the insanity the past month...they were going for 35 bucks each. Too much for an AK mag IMHO.

My personal favorite are the Chinese/Yugo mags. They dont have the spine along the back, which can be rough on the hands if you change magazines a lot...and in a hurry. AIM surplus had them as recently as last year for 8.99 if you bought 10 or more. I bought a ****-ton of them because they were so cheap. I'd GLADLY take 3 of those over 1 circle 10 any day. I also got some the 40 rounders and they are the bomb!

I recenly got some of the Polish mags from Midway USA. They are very nice too. They have the spine on the back, but are "paint over park" finish so they are rust-proof to the max. My father-in-law bought them for me for Christmas.

The bulgarian polymer slab sides are just ok. They have metal feed lips, and rear lugs. The polymer material seems kind of flimsy though. They are just range mags at best.

The clear bulgarian mags are on the same level at tapco. Pretty much crap!

I also own some Tapcos. I bought them when I bought my first AK about 6 years ago. I think I paid about 6 or 7 bucks each for them. I started off with 10. I have 5 left. They are not going to last long at all. Tapcos are OK for range mags, but I would NEVER trust my live with them. They are basically toys. I know they have a "lifetime guarantee" but to me...its just not worth the effort to send them in.

One broke when I dropped the rifle. The back lug just broke off. It is just plastic and wont take much abuse.

Three broke just from being dropped with rounds in them. One of the "lips" on top broke off of one. The rear lug broke on the other. The third one was dropped by a friend at HH gun range. The plastic on the bottom that holds the bottom plate broke. The bottom plate "shot" off and the spring "shot" the rounds in the mag so far down range we could not retrieve them. It was kind of funny actually.

Another one broke becasue I stepped on my rifle case and it was inside.

Basically, I dont recommend tapco mags at all.

Latest posts

Top Bottom