Which scope would you choose?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm going to be putting together a 308 bolt gun and have my mind made up on most of the parts except the scope. I plan on doing most of my shooting 600 yards and in, but hope to make that 1k shot one of these days. The things I wanted most are mil/mil and FFP. I've been doing a lot of homework and have narrowed it down to the 2 below:

HDMR g2
viper PST

Pluses and minuses of each (personal opinion, from what I have read mostly):

HDMR G2
+ absolutely love the reticle
+ lockable turrets
+ decent glass
+- middle of the road on my price budget
- no zero stop (although I feel that I wouldn't necessarily need it with the reticle.)
- non illuminated (although I would rarely use it)
- customer service is a joke from what I have read

Viper PST
+ zero stop
+ price ($300 cheaper than the HDMR which would allow for a nice base and rings right away)
+ illuminated reticle (it's nice that it's there)
+ Stellar customer service
- the reticle is okay and will definitely get the job done, but I like the G2 better

Experience with any of the scopes above would be very valuable.

Thank you for your time and knowledge,

Jake

Last edited:

ok_general

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been very happy with my Vortex Viper PST. The glass is awesome. Turrets feel great and track perfect. I have shot out to 600 with it so far and it returns to zero perfectly every time.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think I'm going to scratch the SS and narrow it down to the PST and HDMR. There is a $300 difference between the two scopes. I've had a PST before and I did like it. If only the PST came with the G2 reticle...

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Get the one you really want (G2) - don't worry about the price: either scope has great resale value.

Personally, I am not a big fan of these new "uber" reticles (G2 or H37): you got exposed knobs for a reason - you should be able to count clicks as fast as them hashes. Of course they always show demos of multiple targets at known distances and memorized hold-overs - but seriously how realistic is that, and how hard is it to do with simple mil-dot?

For precision work - hold over is used for last second (minimal) windage adjustments once you got your reticle "there"; if you just trying to "ring steel" - do you really need a $1000+ scope if $200 10x40 Elite will do just as good?

Of course there are cheaper scopes that don't track worth a damn and you don't touch the knobs - but obviously this is not the case here.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
^^^ I don't know. If you know your distance holds in mils, you should be able to hold at different ranges and fire, just like a ballistic reticle. Then you would only have to worry about wind. I would like to use this rifle for steel and for hunting.

brandt9913

Marksman
Reaction score
Vortex seem to make some damn good glass for the money. You will really like the zero stop feature. I shoot a Zeiss without it, a friend of mine has a night force with zero stop. He never has to think twice about whether his elevation know got bumped and he didn't notice.

Latest posts

Top Bottom