Which sharpening system

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks!

Saw this post last month and surfed around for one. Finally found a Chef's Choice 120 in great condition from ebay for less than half of retail. Sharpened every kitchen, hunting and pocket knife I could find in probably less time than a single knife using my 28 year old Lansky style set. Hand sharpening was fine when I was young, bored and stuck on the edge of an airfield in some third world sh!thole, but this is soooo much faster.

Money well spent.

I got tired of hand sharpening kitchen knives also and bought a Chef's Choice after reading the reviews and the Cook's Country review. It is fantastic at sharpening quickly and makes the process a dream. I rarely have to sharpen my knives anymore because after going through the Chef's Choice they are extremely easy to keep an edge on just touching up with a steel.

randallss7

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have experimented with a lot of different sharpening systems and to tell you the truth they all work. I recommend learning to sharpen free hand, then go to the automatic or guided systems, you may not always have a sharpening system in a field situation but you can always find a stone or use the top of your car's side window. I have sharpened many of knives while camping/or at hunting camp on the top edge of my trucks window, just a thought.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The problem with the work-sharp is that it is essentially a belt sander and with little effort, you can take off way too much metal or heat the blade up and ruin the heat-treatment. If you've got a steady technique, they're great, but I wouldn't attempt to learn on one with an expensive or nice knife.

I was worried about that as well. And I certainly started with cheap knives. I found, however, that it's incredibly easy. You'd have to be a moron to mess up your knife with this system.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was worried about that as well. And I certainly started with cheap knives. I found, however, that it's incredibly easy. You'd have to be a moron to mess up your knife with this system.

You say that like 1.) there aren't a lot of morons out there and 2.) the majority of them aren't holding onto pointy things because they saw Bear Grylls do it :D

Spec ops Grunt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ive been using a Sharpmaker and a leather strop.

I wanna learn freehand, been thinking about buying the spyderco ceramic stones.
I also want some diamond stones for the sharpmaker, but at the same time I'm wondering if the Lansky system would be better for me getting mirror polish.

EZ I've heard a lot of varying things about the best way to strop, whats your input?

Spec ops Grunt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Freehanded a crappy kitchen cleaver with no edge to speak of to a semi polished edge thats mostly chip free using just a crappy soft arkansas stone + water and a strop.

I'm lusting after a a full set of 8 inch DMT diasharp plates but thats a 400 dollar investment.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Depends on which knife. I use a Grey Whetstone, ceramic sticks, diamond hone, Arkansas oil stones, a kitchen steel and a strop.

My old carbon steel blades take an edge very different from nickel stainless carbon and modern steels of today.

lkothe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use a diamond impregnated coarse, then fine....then a Arkansas hard stone that was originally for sharpening broadheads. Take my time, maintaining the same angle on the blade. You can feel it when your on the right angle, smoooooth stroke.
Its not a quick method but puts a very good edge on our knives. So much so, wife has complained about being to sharp....go figure. :(

Latest posts

Top Bottom