1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. All members receive 3 free listings a month. Get unlimited listings for just $10 a year! Click here for all the info.

Which sharpening system

Discussion in 'Knives' started by donner, Feb 13, 2014.

1. Brandi

Brandi Sharpshooter

I got tired of hand sharpening kitchen knives also and bought a Chef's Choice after reading the reviews and the Cook's Country review. It is fantastic at sharpening quickly and makes the process a dream. I rarely have to sharpen my knives anymore because after going through the Chef's Choice they are extremely easy to keep an edge on just touching up with a steel.

2. randallss7

randallss7 Sharpshooter

I have experimented with a lot of different sharpening systems and to tell you the truth they all work. I recommend learning to sharpen free hand, then go to the automatic or guided systems, you may not always have a sharpening system in a field situation but you can always find a stone or use the top of your car's side window. I have sharpened many of knives while camping/or at hunting camp on the top edge of my trucks window, just a thought.

3. doctorjj

doctorjj Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I was worried about that as well. And I certainly started with cheap knives. I found, however, that it's incredibly easy. You'd have to be a moron to mess up your knife with this system.

4. ez bake

ez bake Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    You say that like 1.) there aren't a lot of morons out there and 2.) the majority of them aren't holding onto pointy things because they saw Bear Grylls do it :D

5. Spec ops Grunt

Spec ops Grunt Sharpshooter

Ive been using a Sharpmaker and a leather strop.

I wanna learn freehand, been thinking about buying the spyderco ceramic stones.
    I also want some diamond stones for the sharpmaker, but at the same time I'm wondering if the Lansky system would be better for me getting mirror polish.

EZ I've heard a lot of varying things about the best way to strop, whats your input?

6. OKCShooter

OKCShooter Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I have a Sharpmaker but can't seem to get a razor like I thought....

7. doctorjj

doctorjj Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Touché

8. Spec ops Grunt

Spec ops Grunt Sharpshooter

Freehanded a crappy kitchen cleaver with no edge to speak of to a semi polished edge thats mostly chip free using just a crappy soft arkansas stone + water and a strop.

I'm lusting after a a full set of 8 inch DMT diasharp plates but thats a 400 dollar investment.

9. Lurker66

Lurker66 Sharpshooter

Depends on which knife. I use a Grey Whetstone, ceramic sticks, diamond hone, Arkansas oil stones, a kitchen steel and a strop.

My old carbon steel blades take an edge very different from nickel stainless carbon and modern steels of today.

10. lkothe

lkothe Sharpshooter

I use a diamond impregnated coarse, then fine....then a Arkansas hard stone that was originally for sharpening broadheads. Take my time, maintaining the same angle on the blade. You can feel it when your on the right angle, smoooooth stroke.
    Its not a quick method but puts a very good edge on our knives. So much so, wife has complained about being to sharp....go figure. :(