Which water purification?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

white92coupe

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Re: 300K without water....
The other thread(s) on water has got me thinking more about water purification for lots of different scenarios.

Anyways, I've been looking into Katadyn Vario, Katadyn Hiker Pro, and MSR pumps. Which would you choose, and why?

These would be used for hunting/fishing/camping trips mostly.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Hunting fishing and camping, I just pack my water. No need to take chances.

Ive got a 28'x52" swimming pool that will be my shtf water source. Ill use pool shock and boil.

Sorry im of no help.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm a skeptic of the claims made for various filters to remove bacteria and viruses. Filters clog. Unless you are prefiltering, they will clog quickly in water taken from surface water sources due to algae.

A jug of plain, unscented bleach works well for disease causing organisms - 16 drops per gallon of water, wait 20 minutes.

Old Timer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We use a whole house yarn filter insert to get the big stuff.
Just put a cork in one end and pour in the other.
Then use a Sawyer PointONE to finish it off.

When you are hiking to your camping spot,
It is hard to carry more then a couple of days water.
A filter and an MSR Dromedary bag to carry a days
worth is a while lot lighter.

riper1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
katadyn hiker pro is good for two people, it's light and easy to use, filter does 300 gal of water, A paint strainer works good for a pre filter if the water is not clear
we use a berkley in our house, bleach is good for water storage,

zcruse

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was looking for a filter about a year ago and this is what I came up with. What is below I believe to be factual but feel free to educate me if I'm errant.

I picked up a katadyn pocket a while back - a little heavier and more expensive but has cleanable ceramic filter good for ~13000gallons and has been used many times by WHO in some of the worst water sources in africa over the last 15-20 years.

Most decent filters will remove bacteria and pretty much none of them remove viri. Fortunately bacteria are the much more common problem (at least here in the states). Generally when buying look for durability, gallons/filter (those filters can add up quick if you use it a lot) and rate of flow (you don't want to spend all day pumping water but at the same time may not want the expense of a higher capacity filter for just a few people). As many have said, pre-filter is a must if water is not real clear. If taste is real important you may want to consider an auxiliary carbon filter depending on the sources you'll be pulling from. If viri do concern you, most can be killed or invalidated by boiling, iodine tabs and/or UV radiation dose (necessary intensity and duration of said dose vary by container size).

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Big Berkey. My kids won’t touch tap water now that they know what water is supposed to taste/look/smell like. We’ve got them convinced it’s gourmet. LOL

We didn’t really buy it for anything other than that but if we needed it for an actual emergency that required use of pond or ground water I would pre-filter with a cotton shirt or coffee filter.

Latest posts

Top Bottom